Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kim149 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
    Meeting our biological daughter for the 1st time
    Im a married man with 3 wonderful children; 11yo daughter, 10yo son and 2.5yo baby son living in Asia.

I met my wife in 1993 and we dated since during our academic time in Australia. In 1994 my girlfriend (my current wife) was pregnant and we had the baby daughter left in foster family for adoption. We were so young, stupid and knew nothing about the rule of adoption.

We moved on and got married there in Australia in 1999. Then we began to build the family where we are now.

Having our first daughter born, the second son and the youngest baby son watching them growing made it feel as if incompl
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
    Please use the Reply or quick answer options to complete your story so we know what you need help with.

May 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
    Meeting our biological daughter for the 1st time
    Im a married man with 3 wonderful children; 11yo daughter, 10yo son and 2.5yo baby son living in Asia.

I met my wife in 1993 and we dated since during our academic time in Australia. In 1994 my girlfriend (my current wife) was pregnant and we had the baby daughter left in foster family for adoption. We were so young, stupid and could not care less knowing too much about the rule of adoption.

We moved on and got married there in Australia in 1999. Then we began to build the family where we are now.

Having our first daughter born, the second son and the youngest baby son and watching them growing made it feels as if incomplete without having the first one around us. We can't get in contact with our first daughter as we apparently signed agreement not to have updated information about her from her adoptive parents or nobody.

We miss our first daughter so badly this whole time. We made a lot of effort to find her, getting as much information as possible about her and yet have to wait for her until she gets 18 years of age. This year; 2012 she has turned 18 and through the help of Post Adoption Services, we will be arranged to finally meet her.

We are so excited and really looking forward to finally meeting her. We thank God knowing she can be contacted and her well being is now clearer after the person from the service stated that she has been in contact w her on our behalf. She then suggests us to take one little step at a time.

My questions are:
    1. How ready are we? Coz it takes 5 of us now and one of her to meet. Will she be feeling overwhelmed?
    2. How about the culture differences with our three other children apart from the language barrier? (Eventhough, our three children can understand and speak 30% English)
    3. What kind of preparation should we do beforehand? Especially we are going to be flying to a different country ,whereby our children have never been to, (except our youngest one when he was 8 months to stay there for a week) for this.
    4. What does she mean by one step at a time? Coz we really don't want to wait any further to be reunited.
    5. Can We ask her to come fly with us to where we live to stay with us for a while?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
    First you can discuss this with the intermediary. She may be able to help with some of thise questions.

1. I would go slow. You and your wife meet her together. Bring pictures of her siblings but don't overwhelm her.
    2. another reason to go slow.
    3. Make it a vacation. Plan on activities with your other children that you can taken your first born along with if she wishes.
    4. One step at a time, means you meet once and see if she wants to continue the relationship.
    5. If things go well you can ask her to come visit you at a future time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

May 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
    Thanks a lot Scott!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meeting my 12 year old daughter for the first time. [ 10 Answers ]

I haven't seen my daughter since she was a year and a half old. What do I say and how do I go about it. I've missed seeing her so much. Especially since I have another daughter with another woman and watching her grow up has made me miss my first one more and more each day. I want to make things...

Meeting my 15 year old daughter for the first time [ 6 Answers ]

I am metting my daughter for the first time,and she is fifthteen years old. First of all I'm not a deadbeat dad. I was in the Marine Corps. and her mother and I had a relationship. She was in the military as well and when she got out,I went to Okinawa Japan. I knew she was pregnant and she and I...

About to meet an 19 year old daughter for 1st time [ 3 Answers ]

1st off the Mother didn't take her away from me I left, I was young and dumb. About 2 to 3 years after Leaving my daughter with her Mother 2 states away, I quit drinking, and Partying, got cleand up and got a job, To only relize then that I had a 3 year old daughter I haven't seen sents her birth...

Not a great way of dealing with 1st meeting of you ex. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi all, Have posted about my issues with the breakup with my girlfriend before so won't go into it again but... I'm trying to look on this in a funny way now, but it felt so crap at the time and in the last few days! Just wondering if anyone else has had not great experiences with bumping...

Meeting my 12 year old daughter for the first time. [ 2 Answers ]

I haven't seen my daughter since she was a year and a half old. What do I say and how do I go about it. I've missed seeing her so much. Especially since I have another daughter with another woman and watching her grow up has made me miss my first one more and more each day. I want to make things...

View more questions Search