Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MWJ12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Contactor closes compressor motor trips reset condenser fan does not start
    Central air system turned on, condenser fan and compressor not running. Reset button is tripped. Press reset , contactor closes compressor motor starts, condenser fan does not start. 20 seconds later reset trips shutting down compressor. Same result even after letting sit overnight. Old Williamson unit with schematic washed out. Is the non working condenser fan causing the compressor to shut off?Cannot find (visualy) any leaks in system.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Most likely the compressor is overheating and shutting down due to the fan not working. Just need to determine if it's the fan motor, the fan motor capacitor, or power to the fan motor. If you give the fan a little push when it should be running, does it take off then? Im betting you need a new fan motor or capacitor or both. If the fan blade is stiff at all to turn by hand, a new motor and matching cap it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside AC condensor/compressor unit not coming on at all [ 7 Answers ]

My outside central AC condensor/compressor unit (a Lennox) is not turning on at all. When I switch on the thermostat, the blower in the basement starts running and air is coming through the vents, but the outside unit is not turning on at all, so there is no cool air. Is the likely problem a...

Condenser fan motor [ 2 Answers ]

Motor has four wires yellow, black, brown, and brown with white sripe. The od motor only had three wires black,red and brown. On the new motor I hooked the yellow to L1 the black to L2 and the two brown to fan on the dual cap. The motor starts, runs but it gets very hot and shuts off after a few...

Compressor and fan not coming on contactor works when I push it in could it be from [ 0 Answers ]

Contactor and fan when I manually puh in I have 24v going into defrost board but nothing out

Compressor fan Motor? [ 1 Answers ]

My compressor stopped and needed to be reset. I pushed the reset button on the outside of the unit and the compressor came on but the fan did not.I am assuming without the fan motor it overheated and needed to be reset. I pushed the fan blade with a screw driver to spin the motor and it came on....

Compressor Fan Motor keeps shutting off [ 1 Answers ]

With the AC on and running the temperature started to rise in the house. I put my hand next to the register. Air was blowing but was not cool air. I went outside and the compressor fan motor wasn't blowing. On another occasion the same thing happened and I went outside and the fan motor was making...

View more questions Search