Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MusicGirl900 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Christians View on Gay
    Help.

I'm a teen and Christian. Lately dad has been talking a lot about Gay's and how it's wrong and it's going against God to support it etc. and he wants to have conversations about it but I don't really see what's wrong with being gay.

Like tonight we were at a friends place and they were all talking about it (all against gays) and they were all angry about some peoples views etc. and I was just awkwardly siting there try not to be brought into the conversation and answering in the most neutral way possible.

I guess I've kind of grow up with it in the media and everyone talking about it, so I really don't care about it a I don't really have a view, but I'm trying to get where dads coming from so I can make up my own mind about the topic.

What are the arguments and what should I do if dad brings it up again?
    (And please don't hate on my dad)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Basically, some people feel that the bible labels homosexuality as wrong. I'm sure other people will come along and quote the pertinent passages that support that. The other camp feels there is scientific evidence that shows that homosexuality is not a choice, but a biologic imperative. If you do some research you can find articles like this one Educating the Public on the Causes of Homosexuality that go into more detail.

This is a complex issue that has been debated for ages. So, if you want to educate yourself, you have some research to do. I'm just trying to give a brief explanation so you can build on it with your own research.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2012, 07:55 AM
    As a lifelong Christian (my father was a minister :)), I had always been taught that the Bible spoke against homosexuality. If you read the Bible and take it literally without doing any research as to when passages were written and why, sure, it sounds like the Bible is against homosexuality. But if you start digging a little deeper and keep an open mind, treasures await you and you will probably come up with a different interpretation.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicGirl900 View Post
    I guess I've kinda grow up with it in the media and everyone talking about it, so I really don't care about it a i don't really have a view,
    Hello Girl:

Yes, you DO have a view. You explained it very simply. You don't CARE about it. If you want to argue, THAT'S a very good argument. In fact, why it's changing is because of THAT argument. Young people just don't CARE about it, and there's LOTS of young people. You'll NEVER win a religious argument. I wouldn't even try.

excon
    mysticman72 Posts: 56, Reputation: 10

May 28, 2012, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicGirl900 View Post
    Help.

I'm a teen and Christian. Lately dad has been talking a lot about Gay's and how it's wrong and it's going against God to support it etc. and he wants to have conversations about it but i don't really see whats wrong with being gay.

Like tonight we were at a friends place and they were all talking about it (all against gays) and they were all angry about some peoples views etc. and i was just awkwardly siting there try not to be brought into the conversation and answering in the most neutral way possible.

I guess I've kinda grow up with it in the media and everyone talking about it, so I really don't care about it a i don't really have a view, but i'm trying to get where dads coming from so i can make up my own mind about the topic.

What are the arguments and what should i do if dad brings it up again?
    (And please don't hate on my dad)
    There is no use in arguing about it.

I treat homosexuals as I would anyone else - as the human beings that they are. I have no right to judge them for who they are when I have my own issues to deal with. At the end of the day, people separate themselves into "us vs. them". If we stopped doing that or at least mitigated it, the world would be a different place.

Peace...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
    It is a multiple issues, as you would anyone, you treat them the same and with love.

Is it a sin, yes it is a sin and against Gods will. So is living together and not being married, So is having affairs and the such. Too many have tried to twist God's word and try to make it acceptable, but it is not an acceptable practice, and outside of the will of God.
    Will God forgive, God is willing to forgive all of us for our sins.
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Jun 30, 2012, 02:10 PM
    My two cents on homosexuality is that if God had messed up with human genes, we would not had been talking about this topic here. After may be one or two generations of Adam and Eve, human population would had ceased. Therefore defending and nourishing selfish desires behind curtain of biological issue is baseless and futile. The whole point comes down to the choice a person is going to make. Exodus International Exodus International ? Reaching the World in Grace & Truth is an organisation who has members who made up their minds and walked away from same sex life style.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post
    My two cents on homosexuality is that if God had messed up with human genes, we would not had been talking about this topic here.
    God did a great job with Creation. Man messed it up. It wasn't God's fault about the genes.

Homosexuality is not a choice. When did you choose to be a heterosexual?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
    At the end of the day in Christianity, it does not matter what you or even what I think of it, It does matter what the Bible says, and it is specific that homosexual activity is a sin, not having the desires but acting on it. It is also a sin to lust ( there goes my MTV and the short sh)orts of stars on Yahoo today It is a sin to get drunk and more.

Thus to me is the real issue, sins are and can be forgiven but one has to accept it is a sin. To many Christians have left true faiths which often happens to accept a more World View because they want to be popular, have more members and get of course more donations.

So if you want to find a gay christian church, sure they are there. You want to find one that allows gay, lets you sleep with people without marriage and it is OK to smoke pot, I know one. Man will create what ever church they want to follow (THIER) beliefs, but it does not make it really Gods will or instruction as we take from the bible.

Jun 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
    My two cents on homosexuality
    The OP didn't ask for your 2 cents, she asked (over a month ago) what is the Christian view. We can debate this ad nauseum. Please don't use a question like this to promote your own viewpoint.

Jun 30, 2012, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The OP didn't ask for your 2 cents, she asked (over a month ago) what is the Christian view. We can debate this ad nauseum. Please don't use a question like this to promote your own viewpoint.
    My response was so for the reason that people ahead of me had already responded to her question with Christian perspective. There was not point re-iterating it. Fr_Chuck's post is detailed response on what The Bible says about same sex.

Jun 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    God did a great job with Creation. Man messed it up. It wasn't God's fault about the genes.

Homosexuality is not a choice. When did you choose to be a heterosexual?
    WG, I don't get what you are saying? You are saying homosexulaity is not a choice, then God messed up with the genes. And you are also saying that it is not God's fault.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
    WG, I don't get what you are saying? You are saying homosexulaity is not a choice, then God messed up with the genes. And you are also saying that it is not God's fault.
    1. God created. All is perfect.
    2. Man wasn't satisfied with that and rebelled against God.
    3. Creation was no longer perfect.
    worriedKid321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 10:33 PM
    I'm no Christian. I'm a Muslim. We both have many similaritites although some may not like to admit it. In my religon (same with Christianity) homosexuality is considered a sin. We believe that they will be punished but our beliefs shouldn't nesscaraly turn into our character. We have no right to look down on them. We are also taught that God is the almighty judge. At the Day of Judgement he will be judging not us. Respect everyone. That's one of the most common principals in any religon. We are all brothers and sisters at the end of the day:)

Jul 1, 2012, 07:59 AM
    My response was so for the reason that people ahead of me had already responded to her question with Christian perspective. There was not point re-iterating it. Fr_Chuck's post is detailed response on what The Bible says about same sex.
    Right, there was NO point reiterating it, so no need for you to respond at all. My point was you were not answering the question asked. The OP didn't ask for a discussion on homosexuality.

Therefore I'm closing this thread, before it goes any further afield.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

True Christians & False Christians [ 35 Answers ]

Hi evereyone, When searching for true Christian followers of Jesus, how can we tell them apart from those who claim to follow Christ? Thank you, Hope12

Do I start with my gay friend or my gay friends crush? [ 4 Answers ]

How it happened: Me an my gay best friend Bill(names have been changed) are in the same class as his crush, Dave a feminine guy that everyone likes. He's funny an the perfect guy bill has been waiting for(he tells me but I've heard it before:rolleyes: ) and when bill gets giddy I get giddy. ...

My gay friends tell me my new love interest is gay [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone. Im new to this service. I am a 32 year old female, who has been dating a 26 year old guy for about 2 months. I met him about a year ago, and up until 2 months ago, really only hung out with him with our other friends. We both knew there was something there, had not had the...

View more questions Search