Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judy234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2012, 01:48 PM
    How do I wire existing garage shop light to another light?
    Hi, I have a shop light I am replacing in my garage that has 2 sets of wires coming in to shop light. One set has blk, white and ground that goes to another overhead light, it has it's own single pole switch on another wall. The shop light also has one set of wires same blk, white and ground going to a single pole light switch.

When I wired everything together, meaning all whites to whites, blk to blks and ground to all grounds the light switch to the shop light was on when the switch was in the off position. When I turned the light switch to the on position the circuit breaker flipped off. So, obviously that is not the correct way to connect all my wires together. Help please, thanks so much.

Judy
    judy234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2012, 03:44 PM
    Thank you for looking, I finally figured it out, I had a residential wiring book, but didn't quite understand it fully, but I finally saw the light as they say. And it all works fine now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire two new ceiling fans to replace two existing light fixtures? [ 9 Answers ]

In a bedroom I have two light fixtures that operate off one wall switch. I want to replace these existing fixtures with two new ceiling fans with lights. I am assuming I will need a new type wall switch. What will be the wiring sequence I need to consider?

Can I wire a new PIR external light to an existing light switch? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install an external light and wire it to an existing light switch on the other side of the wall.

What type of wire do I use to connect an existing light to 2 new lights in my ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add 2 new lights to an existing light in my kitchen ceiling. What kind of wire do I use and how do I connect them? Hook black to black, white to white?

Wiring a three wire light to existing four wires [ 22 Answers ]

Just bought a foreclosed home where a lot of the lights were taken by the previous owner. I am trying to put a light over my kitchen table. I bought a light w/ the usual two wires plus ground, but the existing wiring from the previous/removed light has a black, white, ground, red and another...

How to wire an additional light to an existing 3-way light switch [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing my basement, and the light at the top of the stairs is connected to a light switch at the top and bottom of the stairwell. I would like to add another light to this configuration at the bottom of the stairs. From what I can see, the power runs into the light...

View more questions Search