Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vandana Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 09:01 PM
    F1 Visa & Education expense
    Hello,

I am on F1 visa, filing 1040NR. I am wondering, if I can itemize my education expenses(Form 1098-T) in "Job Expenses & Certain Miscellenious Deduction" as Unreimbursed Employee expense- Job related education.

Thanks in Advance.

Feb 26, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Can anyone answer my question?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Probably not, as your degree is likely considered to be the basic education requirement to do the work for which you get paid for.

There are exceptions to this rule, but they are rare.

Feb 26, 2007, 01:29 PM
    How about if I get a letter from my employer that my Degree is not the minimum requiremnt for my post but they require me to complete my Masters.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 11:37 AM
    If getting the Master's degree was a pre-quisite to getting the job, then you cannot deduct the costs.

If it's a requirement to KEEP the job, you can deduct it as a employee-business expense. Note that it is an ITEMIZED expense.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F1 students claim higher education expense [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am a F1 student from India. I would like to know if I can use the 1098T to claim for Hope or Lifetime Learning credits. Thanks Joe

25page essay,ideas please!private education;reality&a [ 1 Answers ]

PRIVATE EDUCATION;REALITIES AND AMBITIONS I'd really appreciate ANY help on ideas of what to include in this essay.I need to finish this project by nov.20 but I don't have the materail needed to write 25 pages!! THANKS A LOT

Moving Expense and Traveller Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Brief History: I came to US on F1 in 2001 and graduated in 2003. I have been employed from October, 2003 on my OPT and my H1 started in May, 2004. I changed my employer in 2004 and in 2005 I had to leave the country to be with my family in my home country. I was out of the country from April 2005...

View more questions Search