Ask
    mohammadpanjwan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
    A website that can identify a person by only their picture
    I am also looking for a person and I only have their picture
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 27, 2012, 07:25 AM
    It's possible - where did you get the photo?

May 27, 2012, 07:34 AM
    From a friend by text
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 27, 2012, 07:52 AM
    You're plum out of luck then.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Unless that photo is posted somewhere else with ID'ing info, no, there is no way to ID the person, even with advanced software.

May 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Okay thanks for for the help judykaytee and curlyben
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 29, 2012, 09:42 PM
    Are you wanting to identify a private person or a public figure perhaps? Can you download the picture here?

In additional: Clarifying the statement, "Can you download the picture here?"... I meant if it is a 'public figure'... but you answered NEXT that it is a 'private photo' and I agree with others, I too wouldn't want my photo or the photos of my family to suddenly show up without my knowledge firsthand, not anywhere online.

May 30, 2012, 10:18 AM
    It's a private person
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2012, 10:44 AM
    There is no way, where did your friend get the photo ? Can they trace it back from where they found it.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
    Would I be happy if someone downloaded my photo on a public site and asked people to ID me? No.

I own the software that does this. I would have to know everything that's been asked - where did you get the photo, why do you want to know, is it a public figure - ?

And, AGAIN, software can recognize the photo IF it's available somewhere else on line. If the person's photo is NOT on line anywhere else OR if the person's appearance has changed, no, ID'ing software will not work.

May 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
    Have you and your friend possibly been spying on someone and took a picture of a subject for whatever reason? I think there is 'no law' against taking pictures of someone while you are in a public place... (perhaps JudyKayTee would know more about this as she is an investigator, but I think you and your friend need to consider the possibility of crossing the line where it becomes a stalking offense. Not accusing…just cautioning.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstChair View Post
    Have you and your friend possibly been spying on someone and took a picture of a subject for whatever reason? I think there is 'no law' against taking pictures of someone while you are in a public place...(perhaps JudyKayTee would know more about this as she is an investigator, but I think you and your friend need to consider the possibility of crossing the line where it becomes a stalking offense. Not accusing…just cautioning.

Thanks for the free advertising! I could use the work. A lot of this is by State. OP does say (somewhere up above) "from a friend by text."

I don't know what that means, but...

May 30, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Thanks for the free advertising! I could use the work. A lot of this is by State. OP does say (somewhere up above) "from a friend by text."

I don't know what that means, but ...
    Or about like... 'I have a friend who has this problem'... ;-)

JudyKT,

By the way, how long have you been investigating and how did you qualify? I'm thinking about becoming a background investigator but your qualifying would probably be different from what I'm interested in doing which would be doing company background checks on potential employees from my home office and whatever else might go along with that. I would like to do all my studying online and set up via my home office, if that is acceptable. I do not want to be in a call center or onboard anywhere away from home base when I do the background checks. I would like to work freelance, but I don't know if that's possible because at this point all I've done is think about it for a while. Appreciate any information wherever you might post it, if not in this thread. Maybe a new thread on Investigation careers/Information... Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstChair View Post
    Or about like...'I have a friend who has this problem'... ;-)

JudyKT,

By the way, how long have you been investigating and how did you qualify? I'm thinking about becoming a background investigator but your qualifying would probably be different from what I'm interested in doing which would be doing company background checks on potential employees from my home office and whatever else might go along with that. I would like to do all my studying online and set up via my home office, if that is acceptable. I do not want to be in a call center or onboard anywhere away from home base when I do the background checks. I would like to work freelance, but I don’t know if that’s possible because at this point all I’ve done is think about it for a while. Appreciate any information wherever you might post it, if not in this thread. Maybe a new thread on Investigation careers/Information...Thanks!
    You need a PI license in NY to access Police records. You can do on-line background checks, but so can everyone else. Anything beyond the routine (and anything reliable) requires a license.

I don't know how much "call" there is for anything else.

In NY I think you still need 3 years full-time field work in order to qualify for a PI license. That involves working under the direct supervision of a PI or working in a similar setting. (I'm ex-Fed, PLUS I worked for a PI for several years). I don't think it's changed - first you sit the PI exam (in NY) and then you prove your experience. Seems backwards to me.

Lots of ex-Police try to do the work. They are seldom successful because they see things purely from the "break the law" standpoint. I mean, someone is DWI, it MUST be their fault - that's not how it works.

I have had a very large advantage for years - I'm female, I'm small, I'm blonde, I don't look the part. (I have never known what "the part" looks like, but... ) I am very successful at surveillance work for those reasons.

I realize this isn't what you are asking but...

A LOT depends on the need/call in your area. What are you offering that people can't do themselves?

And I never work for friends and acquaintances - I will refer you to someone, but I won't do the work - and that includes surveillances.

May 30, 2012, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You need a PI license in NY to access Police records. You can do on-line background checks, but so can everyone else. Anything beyond the routine (and anything reliable) requires a license.

I don't know how much "call" there is for anything else.

In NY I think you still need 3 years full-time field work in order to qualify for a PI license. That involves working under the direct supervision of a PI or working in a similar setting. (I'm ex-Fed, PLUS I worked for a PI for several years). I don't think it's changed - first you sit the PI exam (in NY) and then you prove your experience. Seems backwards to me.

Lots of ex-Police try to do the work. They are seldom successful because they see things purely from the "break the law" standpoint. I mean, someone is DWI, it MUST be their fault - that's not how it works.

I have had a very large advantage for years - I'm female, I'm small, I'm blonde, I don't look the part. (I have never known what "the part" looks like, but ...) I am very successful at surveillance work for those reasons.

I realize this isn't what you are asking but ...

A LOT depends on the need/call in your area. What are you offering that people can't do themselves?

And I never work for friends and acquaintances - I will refer you to someone, but I won't do the work - and that includes surveillances.
    Oh no I do appreciate what you are sharing…It's all quite interesting, especially what you are doing and having to do undercover. I hope you have had good success and that your life was never in any real danger, but probably wishful thanking because I would think this line of work seems to have an element of risk taking with irate people. Especially after you presented evidence…most likely a big shock to them and who’s going to consider you as being anything else except a cute, small, blond female who is actually out to gathering information to hold them accountable! I think I understand the mindset of police officers. Not that they are wrong, they're just trained and conditioned to that way of thinking and being suspicious of everyone especially after years of serving in that capacity. I did join this one website for doing background checks, but it’s pretty much routine information, as you pointed out that anyone can have access to, if they pay a fee. I can see why you limit who you work for or who you do not investigate. Might ask you more questions later, if you don’t mind. Thanks and be safe out there!
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
    I don't do "undercover" as such. I do surveillances (somewhat different) - matrimonials, Family Court, bars (many ways to rip off a bar owner). Yes, I've thought I was in danger 3 times. Knocked on the door, it opened and I was looking down the barrel of a rifle, got thrown off a porch (I'm not kidding), was on sovereign land and the potential Defendant took defense. I've been asked to leave a lot of places but never any danger. Working for the Feds was dangerous - but I was too young, stupid and "hungry" to know.

Police are trained in a totally different way, as are insurance adjusters. I work from the point of what happened, why, are you sure, if anyone is at fault - who? I don't evaluate damage or injuries. I also don't ask a question if I'm not prepared for the answer.

It's interesting work. I live all right. My late husband was quite sick for a few years and I really eased back during those years - I work a 4.5 hour driving range in one direction (my personal limit) and I was unable to "stay over" when he was sick. The day was simply too long if I traveled that kind of distance - and I wanted to be with him.

Even the Internet pay sites are not terribly accurate - they are as good as the info someone punches in and the accuracy of the person doing the punching. I am also finding that people deliberately give bad info so that it will be picked up, posted, confuse their identity.
    benzzo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammadpanjwan View Post
    I am also looking for a person and I only have their picture
    Please provide me simple step by step instructions locating her. She said she lives in Westfield, MA. She emailed me and left little info only... givemeareasontosmile...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
    You do face book searches of anyone connected to Westfield MA,

You take her photo and go to Westfield and start asking around at stores and places if they know her.

If grew up there, you go to some of the high school reunion sites and search for people in her age group.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I identify the person by using a picture [ 2 Answers ]

do you know who she is?what's her information? >E-mail Removed<

How do I post a picture to this website? [ 2 Answers ]

I want a pic of me on my profile but I don't know how.

Identify picture [ 2 Answers ]

Identify picture

Identify the value, if any, of a picture [ 12 Answers ]

Please help identify a picture of a "patriot" (with powdered wig) reading MacBeth

Post picture in website [ 3 Answers ]

I set up an account in a classic car website. Each member has a picture of a car above his name in the author column then sometimes another picture in the message area. How is this done? I'd like to have a pic of my car in my account.

View more questions Search