Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    18-wheeler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 12:08 AM
    Commitment and firearms
    I was committed to a State Hospital at 16 for 2 weeks as a minor in Texas for telling my parents I hated them and wanted to die in an argument in 1990. I'm now 37. Since then no criminal or mental health issues ever, a small trucking company, a 20 years marriage and 3 kids. I can no longer buy guns and can't seem to find a lawyer to help. I'm playing it safe and got rid of my firearms and ammo till I can get this resolved. I held a CHL for 8 years and a hazmat endorsement as a trucker and lost these privileges as well. I am no longer ignorant of the law and also seek help if at all possible to restore my rights. Ironically my son used to participate in 22 long rife shooting in local competitions and I had to remove it from the house also to play it safe. NEED A TEXAS ATTORNEY FAMILIAR WITH HOW TO HANDLE THIS MATTER... SOMEONE?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 26, 2012, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 18-wheeler View Post
    I was committed to a State Hospital at 16 for 2 weeks as a minor in Texas for telling my parents I hated them and wanted to die in an argument in 1990. I'm now 37. Since then no criminal or mental health issues ever, a small trucking company, a 20 years marriage and 3 kids. I can no longer buy guns and can't seem to find a lawyer to help. I'm playing it safe and got rid of my firearms and ammo till I can get this resolved. I held a CHL for 8 years and a hazmat endorsement as a trucker and lost these privileges as well. I am no longer ignorant of the law and also seek help if at all possible to restore my rights. Ironically my son used to participate in 22 long rife shooting in local competitions and I had to remove it from the house also to play it safe. NEED A TEXAS ATTORNEY FAMILIAR WITH HOW TO HANDLE THIS MATTER.....SOMEONE?
    You should have started a new thread, even if your question is similar to that of someone else.

How, all of a sudden, did you feel compelled to get rid of your firearms, and how did you loose your CDL? Did someone suggest that you may be in legal jeopardy? If the state revoked your CDL, there are avenues for administrative appeal. Is there a similar provision prohibiting possession of a CDL if the holder has ever been committed?

I suspect we are not seeing the full story here.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 26, 2012, 07:30 AM
    I agree with "AK" - this does not appear to be the whole story. After all this time suddenly OP gets rid of firearms, etc.

No, something is missing.

An instant felony? Maybe a felony. Maybe a felony charge. Instant felony?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felons and firearms [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I live in Florida and my husband was a convicted felon. Is it legal for him to have a muzzleloader?I have been told this is not considered a firearm

Procession of firearms [ 6 Answers ]

If there is a individual caught with a firearm, and is under age as well, and was processed With procession of a firearm. Also if it was consider a misdemeanor with no intent will This be on that individuals record, even when they were caught when they were under age. Will this remain on their...

View more questions Search