Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbrumely Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 09:54 PM
    What causes smelly cat wounds
    My cat has a wound on her back. She is overweight and is not a fighter, stays mainly indoors, but does go outside to lay on the patio. I reached down to pet her tonight and some of her hair was clumped together on her back. I tried to un-clump it with my fingers and ALL of it came out - the SMELL was horrible. HORRIBLE... I picked her up to take her to a better light in the bathroom - she has a huge round open would that is ooozing fluid(bloody) - it's very gross. I cleaned it with proxide and appleid neosporin... it looks very painful...

Please help... I have no clue!''

Sharon
    Austin, Texas
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 26, 2012, 11:21 PM
    Hi sbrumley,

Your feline has an infection. DO NOT use hydrogen peroxide again for animal wounds; it can destroy a cat's health tissue while killing the bacteria. Instead, Use sterile saline to clean wounds. You can then apply an antibiotic ointment such as Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Take her to the vet if the wound does not improve and take her anyway if it appears she needs stitches.

Cat Wound Care
    http://www.cat-health-guide.org/catwoundcare.html

How to Make a Saline Solution for a Cat's Wound Care
    http://www.ehow.com/info_12230494_ma...ound-care.html
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 27, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Large open wounds on cats or dogs are rarely treated successfully at home. They are usually the result of an abcess.
    The horrible smell is most likely infection and needs treatment with oral antibiotics. Only your vet can prescribe those for you.
    Many time these large wounds (even small wounds) need to be flushed thoroughly and stitched to prevent further problem.
    A large horrible smelling wound on a cat is a very good reason to get her checked out sooner rather than later.
    bhannah Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrumely View Post
    My cat has a wound on her back. She is overweight and is not a fighter, stays mainly indoors, but does go outside to lay on the patio. I reached down to pet her tonight and some of her hair was clumped together on her back. I tried to un-clump it with my fingers and ALL of it came out - the SMELL was horrible. HORRIBLE........I picked her up to take her to a better light in the bathroom - she has a huge round open would that is ooozing fluid(bloody) - it's very gross. I cleaned it with proxide and appleid neosporin........it looks very painful......

Please help.........I have no clue!''

Sharon
    Austin, Texas
    I agree with previous answers about being careful with her draining abcess. Be careful to not let her outside . Her wound will probably attract flies to lay their eggs leading to maggots at the wound site making it much worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smelly Cat [ 7 Answers ]

My cat smells like urine.This has been going on for three weeks, I have taken her to the vet and they said that there is nothing wrong with her. I haven't changed her brand of litter or her food or anything. I've given her at least five baths and made sure her litter is clean and easily accessible.

Cat in fight need to completely heal wounds [ 14 Answers ]

My cat was in a fight, I can not get his wounds to completely heal. Does anyone have a suggestion or solution for this? Thanks. Got in the fight over 2 months ago. Got puncutures at his neck. I cleaned the wound with soap and water and treated with h. peroxide. Got infected and swelled up,...

Some wounds are just to deep ! [ 3 Answers ]

When a person purposely deceives or goes out of there way to hurt you. When it meant nothing to the other person. When then don't even value a friendship with you.

Smelly toilet leading to all floor being smelly [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there is toilet smell on all my floor in the company where I work what can be the reasons and what can be the remedy pl guide urgently.:mad:

Cat w/ very smelly wound! [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, in the past year my indoor/outdoor cat, Pansy, has had 3 absesses (sp?). The first one we took him to the vet and took home antibiotics. The last two we took care of ourselves and they healed just fine. But tonight he came in and smelled awful. I thought maybe he stepped in sh*t or...

View more questions Search