Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0521yositayo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 12:14 AM
    Sharing of inherited property from
    My father died. He left properties inherited from his mother. We have stepmother. We don't know if they are married. My stepmother divided the land properties and the house. She divided it into 1/6 of 1/2 we are only 2 and 3 half brother and sisters.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 26, 2012, 01:53 AM
    First, where is this (country, state, etc)?
    Second, you need to know if they were married or not.
    Third, what did the will specify?
    If he left her everything in his will, then she doesn't have to give anyone anything.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2012, 05:04 AM
    Was there a will? Was the estate probated? Was the step mother appointed or named executor?

Please provide us with more info so we can help.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 26, 2012, 05:20 AM
    You have a question? Let me guess: you want to know if "stepmother" did this properly? If it's in a U.S. state, she would have had to do this through probate, in which case the chances are good that yes, she did it correctly.

I am also unclear as to what you are saying that she did. What does "divided it into 1/6 of 1/2" mean? And how many of your father's children are there, 2 or 3?

May 26, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Yes I want to know if the sharing is right. My father has 3 siblings to his second wife, and 2 siblings from the first wife and that's me and my sister. My father did not left a will and the land title is still in his mother's name. The sharing that my stepmother telling to us is the half of the property will divide into to the first half will go to her. And the second half will go to the siblings and it will divide into 6. I am wondering why it is divided into 6. she always tell us that my dead father is still have the share that's why the half is divided into 6 and the share still goes to my stepmother. The properties is here in the philippines.
    Expert

May 26, 2012, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0521yositayo View Post
    ... the properties is here in the philippines.
    Ah. You are in the Philippines. That would explain the communication problem. Let me see if I understand:

... my father has 3 siblings to his second wife, and 2 siblings from the first wife and that's me and my sister. ...
    He is surived by 5 children; 2 by his first wife and 3 by his second wife.

... i am wondering why it is divided into 6. she always tell us that my dead father is still have the share that's why the half is divided into 6 and the share still goes to my stepmother. the properties is here in the philippines.
    I don't know anything about Philippine inheritance law, but it does seem strange that your grandmother's estate (and that appears to be what's being divided) would be divided like this:
    • half to her son's widow (assuming the "step mother" was married to your father;
    • 6 equal shares (of the other half) to
      • you,
      • your sister,
      • your 3 half-siblings; and
      • your father's estate.

It doesn't seem correct that your step-mother would inherit anything from your grandmother.

Clearly you should consult a lawyer, attorney, advocate, or whatever they are called there, and find out if this is being done correctly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2012, 08:21 AM
    Unless there is a 6th person you do not know about, if that 1/6th of a share is large enough, go see an attorney.

May 26, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Ah. You are in the Phillipines. That would explain the communication problem. Let me see if I understand:

He is surived by 5 children; 2 by his first wife and 3 by his second wife.

I don't know anything about Phillipine inheritance law, but it does seem strange that your grandmother's estate (and that appears to be what's being divided) would be divided like this:
    • half to her son's widow (assuming the "step mother" was married to your father;
    • 6 equal shares (of the other half) to
      • you,
      • your sister,
      • your 3 half-siblings; and
      • your father's estate.

It doesn't seem correct that your step-mother would inherit anything from your grandmother.

Clearly you should consult a lawyer, attorney, advocate, or whatever they are called there, and find out if this is being done correctly.
    She's keeping all the land title, is she entitled to sell the properties without our knowledge?
    Expert

May 26, 2012, 08:49 AM
    she's keeping all the land title, is she entitled to sell the properties without our knowledge?
    I don't know. See an attorney and find out.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
    It's possible that because your father died without a will, then your father's estate gets a share of his mother's property until his estate is settled.

You haven't answered all our questions and without a lot more information, it's a guess.
    The word in English for dying without a will is intestate, if you want to do some research AFTER you find out if they were married, for one thing. The other is what claim your father had to his mother's property before he died. In many countries, his mother's estate would have to be probated before her property could be inherited.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying back property taxes on inherited property [ 4 Answers ]

My mother inherited my grandmothers property when she passed. My mother then gave me the property. Well my grandma had't paid property taxes for 10 years some kind of a waiver she got. Well now they want me to pay them. Do I have to do this? It doesn't seem fair. The state of CA has sent me a...

Property tax on inherited property? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 34 year old salaried person. My father has died who is the owner of flat. My mother has sold the flat for Rs. 18 Lacs which attracted capital gain tax amounting to Rs. 2.5 Lacs. If I want to use that Rs. 18 Lacs for purchasing the new house in the name of mine and mother is not co-applicant...

What taxes on inherited property at $17,000 value. Eight of us inherited it in Ga. [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom passed away and left her home and land to 8 of us. We sold it to one sister for the value of $ 17,000. Our Lawyer was of no help to us. What kind of taxes are we responsible for? This is in Georgia. Our Dad passed away in 2006. Mom passed in Aug. of 2009.

Who pays back property taxes in inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

I inherited 51 acres in West Virginia from my father who has died in March of last year. It is being transferred to me on Friday. The 2008 property taxes have not been paid. The will is going through Probate Court in Georgia now. Should the estate of my father pay the back taxes as the will is...

Property taxes on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

When daughter inherits home from parent and moves into the home, is there an adjustment to the property tax base in California? Currently taxes are extremely low but house has increased in value since purchase 40 years ago. House is held by trust.

View more questions Search