Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usmle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Child tax credit :child on H-4 came August 2006 ,
    Hi atlanta tax guru

I am on h-1 ( entered in June 2006) wife & son entered ( on h-4) August 2006
    I am filing as resident alien as I passed test,
    Wife & son entered 19th August 2006 , are they pass test after 6 months
    Is it valid to call them resident alien after 19 feb 2007 ? And will they be considered resident alien for tax for 2006 ?

I am asking this question because my wife have a option to file as resident alien , even if she is not completing 183 days till 31 dec 2006

But what about my son , he is my dependent , and he did not have any option
    As per child credit rule he has to be resident alien
    I am not sure about if I could claim him as resident alien for child tax credit after 19 feb 2007 9 after completing 6 months in US , he stayed with me in india from birth till 21 June 2006 when I came USA on h-1 and he came 2 months after ,
    Is he has to stay with me IN USA for 6 months ( from 1st jan 2006-31 dec 2006)?
    Or his stay from 19 august2006 to-18 feb2007 , is valid for 2006 tax filing for child tax credit ? And will he qualify as resident alien

Regards to atlanta tax guru
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 11:08 AM
    If you file jointly with your wife and you BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens, then you CAN claim your child as a dependent and CAN claim the Child Tax Credit. The same process that makes your wife a resident applies to your child as well (confirmed telephonically with the IRS International Tax Hotline).

Further, you do NOT have to wait, as the IRS says if one person (you) meets the SPT for 2006, then no delay in filing is required.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax(2006) Credit for Spouse and Dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to United states, first time on 28th May 2006 and left US on 2nd Sept 06. Again I came back to US on 8th Oct 06 and stayed thereafter throughout the year, but this time with my family. I have my SSN whereas my family (wife and daughter) don't have SSN. My query is: 1. Am I a...

Applying for ITIN for spouse while filing taxes & Child tax credit exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am aftab and my wife and kid joined me in 2006, as they are on H4 they are not eligible for a SSN so I need to apply for an ITIN. Please explain the process as to Should I be sending my returns filled in manually along with the application for ITIN for my spouse and kid? Will the...

Child Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

My Wife, and 14 month Daughter is living with me in California and are on H4 Visa. Since they do not have a SSN , can I still claim my child for 'Child Tax Credit'. I am filling under Married Filling Jointly. Also Is there any other way I can get Tax Credits for my Daughter other than...

Child credit [ 1 Answers ]

On the income taxes how much is per child around 6months

2006 tax: Jan-July Iowa F-1, August-Dec Texas OPT [ 1 Answers ]

My visa status (2006) is: (I'm single, never married) Jan-July, F-1, Iowa August-Dec, OPT, Texas (I'm expected to have the H1B issued by this fall) Q1: What kind of forms I have to work on? Q2: Is it true that I need 2 W-2 s, one from my old school in Iowa the other...

View more questions Search