Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doodlebug91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
    Can a child in foster care get emancipated
    My friend is in foster care cause her mom beat her really bad the other night. She don't want to be there she wants to be with her boyfriend and the rest of her family. She is a few months shy of turning 18. She has had a lot go on in her life and I do believe that the best thing for her right now is to be with the people that care about her.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
    Getting emancipated takes a long time. If she's turning 18 soon, why not wait for that, and then she will be considered an adult and can do whatever she wants to do. My advice to her is just wait it out until she is 18.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 25, 2012, 06:46 PM
    If she is almost 18 then there really is no point in trying to start the process. She just needs to stick it out for a few more months. Also moving in with the boyfriend is a bad idea for someone like her at this time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
    Then the rest of her family can go to CPS and try to get guardianship or temp custody.

Next she can go though the same channels as anyone else wanting to be emancipated. She will have to have the funds to live on her own, ( not with other family) and not with a boyfriend. She will hire an attorney with money she has, and go to court. But it will often take months to get to court.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 25, 2012, 07:15 PM
    The only way a child can become emancipated is to show that she can take care of herself. In other words, your friend would have to have a job, find an apartment she can afford from the pay she receives, be able to support herself entirely.

Being emancipated is basically asking to be treated like an adult. As an adult, she will have to prove that she can take care of herself, with no ones help.

If she's only a few months away from turning 18, it would probably be easier to wait until she's a legal adult, and not go through the lengthy process of becoming emancipated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temporary Foster Care and child support [ 1 Answers ]

A child has been placed in temporary foster care, can the state come after the biological parents for child support?

Back child support and foster care [ 1 Answers ]

My dad is having to pay back child support to my mom for about 36 years worth. I don't think its right. He is disabled and getting Social security checks. The child support is taking all of his money and only allowing him to live off less than 10 a month. I don't think this is right because me and...

Can I find out why I was placed in foster care as a child [ 5 Answers ]

Why was I placed in foster care as a child I am now an adult and wish to know why

I'm in foster care therefore how do I go about getting emancipated? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and I will be 17 on Valentines Day. I was placed in repite earlier this year, the first week in October. I was then put back home with my mom and now I am in foster care. A friend was telling me that I could be emancipated because I do not want to go back home with my mother. I...

View more questions Search