Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zoe305 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 10:17 AM
    Squatters Rights Florida
    4 years ago in my divorce, I "gave" our home over to my ex because I knew I could not afford the upkeep. I did not sign a quit claim deed. I signed the mortgage papers, but I am not on the mortgage but I am on the warranty deed. Shortly after that he filed for bankruptcy. When I research the house online, I see that it is still in our name. But, when I called the county property appraiser, I was told it has been in foreclosure since 2008. I called the bank who they have on file and was told that the loan had been sold but since I wasn't on the mortgage they couldn't tell me who to.
    The house has been abandoned since 2007. I have some friends who are going to be homeless soon and I told them to go stay there. They are willing to fix it up but are afraid of getting arrested or being told to move immediately.

Does the house still belong to me? Can they move in? What are my rights as supposedly still the owner of the home?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zoe305 View Post
    4 years ago in my divorce, I "gave" our home over to my ex because I knew I could not afford the upkeep. I did not sign a quit claim deed. I signed the mortgage papers, but i am not on the mortgage but i am on the warranty deed. Shortly after that he filed for bankruptcy. When i research the house online, i see that it is still in our name. But, when I called the county property appraiser, i was told it has been in foreclosure since 2008. I called the bank who they have on file and was told that the loan had been sold but since i wasn't on the mortgage they couldnt tell me who to.
    The house has been abandoned since 2007. I have some friends who are going to be homeless soon and i told them to go stay there. They are willing to fix it up but are afraid of getting arrested or being told to move immediately.

Does the house still belong to me? Can they move in? what are my rights as supposedly still the owner of the home?
    Squatters have no rights... period.

Its not yours any more... its in foreclosure.. that means the bank owns it now.

Anyone in it is breaking the law and can be charged with at a minimum with criminal tresspassing.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
    If there has not been a foreclosure sale yet then you and your ex are still the owners of the property.

If a foreclosure sale has not yet occurred your friends cannot be arrested as trespassers unless you or your ex make a complaint. They cannot be told to move out immediately by the bank. Once the title to the house passes due to a foreclosure sale the new owner must give them 90 days notice to vacate.

You should be aware, however, that you and your ex can be held responsible if your friends suffer any injuries on the property. Knowingly allowing someone to live there when you do not have insurance is a very big risk.

I suggest that you let your ex know immediately that someone has moved into the property.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Squatters have no rights...period.

Its not yours any more....its in forclosure..that means the bank owns it now.

Anyone in it is breaking the law and can be charged with at a minimum with criminal tresspassing.
    Check with the clerk of court in your county to determine the status of the foreclosure (assuming that your state is not a "non-judicial" foreclosure state). In many places, it is possible to find the status of such case online.

You should have been served with process (notice of a court foreclosure action) if it's done at all like it is done here in Floriida. I work at a lawfirm which does foreclosures every day.

Or the appraisor with whom you spoke should be able to tell you the details of the foreclosure, including who is foreclosing, and if the foreclosure sale has happened yet.
    zoe305 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 11:25 AM
    Thanks Lisa.
    I had asked an attorney yesterday and he gave somewhat the same answer but he was such a jerk, I wanted to make a few more inquiries.
    What he said was that if we are still listed in public records then the house is still ours. The bank would need to finish the foreclosure and sell the house in which case the names on record would be different.

So, technically they wouldn't be squatting.
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zoe305 View Post
    So, technically they wouldn't be squatting.
    No. If you still have the right to possess the property, you can give them permission to stay there. "Squatting" is the vernacular for what lawyers refer to as "adverse possession". That wouldn't apply.

Lisa's advice about insurance is good advice. If you do give them permission to occupy the place, be sure that they first pay for insurance to protect you from liability toward them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 12:07 PM
    And of course if at the recorder of deed, you are no longer the legal owner ( not what any online records show that can be months out of date) But who the legal owner is, if you are still listed then you may give someone permission, but if you are not, you can be held liable for damages they do, to the real owner.

Banks may take months even a year or two after they foreclose to do anything with them, they have too many. Others don't actually foreclose since they don't want them on the books.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
    In my opinion, you are playing russian roulette here. If your friends spend money to fix up the place, they will lose their investment. If you are the owner, then you will be liable for anything that happens. If you are not the owners, then they and you can be in trouble for criminal trespass.

So the bottom line is you need to determine without a doubt who is the owner. But if you are the owner, you are also on the hook for any taxes, and the balance of the mortgage.
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... But if you are the owner, you are also on the hook for any taxes, and the balance of the mortgage.
    That would be included in the deficiency judgment, if there is one. OP definitely should determine the status of the foreclosure case and why she was not notified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squatters Rights in Florida [ 5 Answers ]

Is there such a law as squatters rights in Florida or adverse possession? How long does an individual have to occupy the property before claiming squatters rights/adverse possession? Do you file a quit claim deed or how do you go about making legal claim to the property?

Squatters rights in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

Hello , I met this individual July of last year( I was in the shelter,for abuse women) ,when we met I asked him if he know anyone whom had a room for rent? he said he had a room in his apartment I could rent ,I rented the room and moved in August ,05,2011,any way ,he told me about this other apt...

Squatters rights in Florida [ 4 Answers ]

I have a wooden deck about 25ft x 15 ft. the corner of which over hangs my property line at a triangular angle some 4 ft x 6ft at a hight of 5ft above the lake level. This is clearly marked on my survey and has been there as long as the house - some 27 years. The lake owners have contact me to...

Squatters rights Florida [ 2 Answers ]

What constitutes squatters rights in Florida?

Squatters rights in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Please explain what these rights are...

View more questions Search