Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kapadia.mihir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 11:12 AM
    F1 OPT and 401k
    Hi,

I am working on OPT (optional practical training) on F1 visa.

I am exempt from FICA taxes (social security and medicare), can I still participate/contribute in 401k?

Where can I find rules in written as a proof. My univ. site mentions that on F1 I am exempt from FICA taxes but no mention of 401k (probably it has no connection, but just wondering).

Check out some similar questions!

401K deductible contributions? F1-OPT [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently under H1B since November 2006 and F1 doing OPT before that. During 2005 I was a teaching assistant while still in school so I used form 1040 NR EZ for my taxes. During 2006 I have contributed to the 401K in my company so I understand I should use 1040NR to be able to deduct these...

F1-OPT married to US Citizen (Now H1B), Tax exempt during OPT Period? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am a foreigner and just got married to US Citizen this year in August. I have tax questions to ask. Here is my situation. - Start working in Feb 08 as F1-OPT Status until Sept 08. H1B effective on Oct 1st, 2008. - I got married to US Citizen in Aug 08, I am applying for Green Card...

Participation on 401k on OPT status (written rule)? [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard from several people that it is perfectly fine to get contributions to a 401k during OPT, however my employer prefers to see the rule written somewhere before making enrolling me in the program. Could you direct me to a document that states the rule. Thank you Leo

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.