Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicky291269 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
    Adopting a 16 year old step child do I need biological fathers concent
    My son is 16 years old and my partner who is not my sons biological father wants to adopt him and my son also wants this do we need his biological fathers consent and how do we go about this ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicky291269 View Post
    my son is 16 years old and my partner who is not my sons biological father wants to adopt him and my son also wants this do we need his biological fathers consent and how do we go about this ?
    Certainly you do need the fathers concent... didn't you post this same question a couple days ago under a different name? The father is in a different country?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 23, 2012, 09:44 AM
    Are you married? Most states require you to be married at least a year before a step-parent adoption can happen.

And unless you can prove that the biological father is a danger, you have to at least attempt to get his consent for an adoption to happen.

Contact a family law attorney in your area to find out specifically what you need to do in your situation. While you CAN do an adoption without a lawyer, you can also set a bone without a doctor. I don't recommend doing either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my 41 year old step daughter [ 8 Answers ]

My step daughter is 41 yrs old with 3 children. I have been married to her mother for 27 years. Deciding on my will my assets should go to my step daughter and my grandchildren as I have considered them my family in case I outlive my wife. The reason I want to consider adopting my step daughter...

Can I adopt my partners child with out the fathers concent? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been with my partner for 3 years we are not married yet but she has a little girl who we know who the father is but he walked out on my partner from day one he found out she was pregent. I've been there since birth of our girl and I would love to adopt her but will I need the father's concent?...

Child's biological fathers not on birth certificate and step father wants to adopte [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my child he is 7 years old he has been around since he was a baby, his biological father has never been in his life seen him like 2 or 3 times running into him and never did nothing for him, he doesn't pay child support and is not on the birth certificate my question is...

How old does a child have to be to be adopted without birth fathers concent [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters wish to be adopted by my husband who has been their dad most of their lives.they are 18 and 16 years old. They have had no contact with their birth father for 15 and a half years. When can they be adopted without his consent.

I was adopted by step dad. I know my biological fathers name but can not find him [ 4 Answers ]

I guess I am the result of a fling my mom had with a guy in the Air Force in Washington State in 1964. When my mom went on public assistance and they looked up my dad I guess he went to court to argue that he was not the father. Her new husband officially adopted me in 1965. I don't know if my...

View more questions Search