Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamaPowell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Toilet backing up in wash tub
    When I flush my toilet it gurgles in the kitchen sink and then comes up in the washer tub in the basement, raw sewage and all. I have a septic tank. I have already had a plumber come and snake ALL the drains, even the main line, and it is still happening. PLEASE HELP
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 02:34 PM
    I'd have the septic tank pumped and inspected. Raw seweage in your washer says that the obstruction is after the tub and before the tank or at the tank. Tanks should be pumped and inspected at least every 5 years depending on your soil conditions. Tank and fields can go bad. Did the plumber snake all the way into the tank?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 05:42 AM
    I disagree with pumping a septic tank. After a tank is pumped it is likely that the drain field will fail within 6 months.
    Have the plumber dig up on the outlet side of the septic tank and tap on the pipe. If it is a solid noise then the pipe is full and the drainfield is failed.

Feb 28, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Puzzled by Doug238 comment that a septic field will fail within 6 months of pumping. I am on a HOA of 2727 properties. We require pumping every 5 years and see no correlation to failing fields. Why would a field fail after pumping? Mamapowell's tank may not have been pumped for many years so this is one logical place to start.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 06:46 PM
    It was my experience in Florida when I did drain calls on septic systems that almost every drain call I went on that had a septic tank and I ran a cable into the tank with no success and then dug up the outlet side that it was full. The homeowners told me they had their tank pumped within the last 6 months.
    [opinion] a septic tank is a large pit that receives waste product that creates bacteria that eats waste products that dissolve and the liquid goes out into the drain field. A septic system is similar to bottom filter fish tank in some respects. There is little maintanance on a well set up bottom filter fish tank. And there is little to no maintanance on a septic tank that receives little or no strong chemicals that would kill the bacteria. Why would a person pump out a self maintained system? There will never be enough grease in a residential system to cause it to fail because of grease. Everything else is biodegradable.

Feb 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Everything that goes down the toilet or sink isn't always biodegradeble. Human waste isn't even 100% degradable. There is a slight residual from human waste as well as bits of paper, cellophane, foil, you name it that accidentally goes down the drain and settles. I have observed more than 25 pumping and every single tank had residual. Septic tanks are not 100% efficient and that's why periodic pumping is required. If you wait until the outlet side is full then it is too late.By the way ,with your view, what is it full of if everything degrades. Once the outlet is full then the field tiles are getting plugged. You pump the tank and it may take several months to refill the tank before you realize the fields have failed because the tank overfilled.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 08:24 PM
    I am at a loss to explain how a 1,500 gallon tank could fill with so much debris. It has been my experience that human waste breaks down in a bacteria rich environment. The outlet side has a tail on it so the solid does not exit.

Mar 1, 2007, 08:29 AM
    1500 is the current standard, not long ago 1000 was fine and even longer ago 500 was acceptable. We don't really know the size of mamapowells tank, if its 30 years old its probably only 500 g. In any event all tanks will build up a sediment and I've run into people who lived in the same place for 20 yrs without pumping. It does build up and if the tank fills the tail will plug too. Once you get soilds in the field you're dead. But the bottom line is that fields are not "...likely that the drain field will fail within 6 months." It just isn't so, otherwise my HOA would have 2700 failed fields.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Downstairs wash tub backup [ 1 Answers ]

My washing machine is next to a 2-bin wash tub in my basement and discharges into it on the rinse cycle. Lately the wash tub has been backing up. I have tried to put lint traps on the washing machine discharge hose to keep lint from going down the drain. This becomes a hassle. I recently tried...

Help - Tub is backing up! [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. New to forum, maybe someone can help me. I have noticed that my tub drainage has been slowing down again. Just had cleaned it (using a plastic piece with hooks that got through mail, worked fine) a few weeks ago, but my wife said MY hair was clogging it up again. Had not gotten to it yet......

Washer backing up in tub and shower... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, this is my first post here, ill try to describe problem as best as I can. I have a sink and a bathtub in small bath, sink drains fine but tub drains slow, and no backup when washer drains. The kitchen has a dishwasher and a sink, drains fine but little backup when washer drains. ...

Wash tub drain very slow [ 3 Answers ]

My Problem Is The Grey Water From The Washer Fills The Wash Tub Right Next To The Washer And The Tub Drains Very Slowly , The Water Is Almost To The Top Of The Tub. There Is No Clog In The 2" Pipe .after The Trap The Gradual Slope To The Existing Vent Is About 9' With A 90 Deg Bend.if A Vent Was...

Adding plumbing for tub/ toilet to home [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older farm home and are doing some remodeling and wish to add a toilet and a tub to our existing laundry room which consists of a concrete slab. What ideas do you have as to the plumbing applications that we could use to make this work? All the plumbing pipes are in the main portion...

View more questions Search