Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    native2florida Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 02:45 AM
    Ac outside unit fan won't start turning on it's own
    My ac is blowing hot air. Went outside to check the unit and the fan wasn't turning. Nudged it with a stick and it begins to turn at about 1/3 on normal speed but only stays on for like 7 minutes. But for those few minutes it would blow cool air. It's 8 years old, should we try fixing parts (if yes which ones)or look into replacing the whole thing? HELP! Orlando, FL
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 23, 2012, 04:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by native2florida View Post
    my ac is blowing hot air. Went outside to check the unit and the fan wasn't turning. Nudged it with a stick and it begins to turn at about 1/3 on normal speed but only stays on for like 7 minutes. But for those few minutes it would blow cool air. It's 8 years old, should we try fixing parts (if yes which ones)or look into replacing the whole thing? HELP!! Orlando, FL
    Odds are that fan motor needs replaced. If you can get the parts I don't know... but you might have to hire an HVAC guy to do it.
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

May 23, 2012, 07:30 AM
    Condenser fan motor - $150 if that - go online or look at appliance parts repair shop even grainger - make sure to get a new run capacitor too

Ez replacement if you do a little research and want to do it yourself

Pro $325 low end $500 upper band

You don't need an new unit contrary to what most 'techs' will tell you that stop by.

Now if your unit is 20 years plus old and has a history then maybe start thinking about it. Your call

Tip: pull the fan blade off before removing motor from mounts
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

May 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Sorry just saw the 8 years old part

You definitely do not need a new unit

Is the condenser coil clean? Meaning did the fan overheat because it is not getting enough air flow over the coil and thus over the motor.

The fan motor has an internal heat overload and will shut off on over temp

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside A/C unit fan not turning on [ 1 Answers ]

The unit is a Concord. With the air conditioning on the inside furnace fan turns on but the outside unit fan won't come on and it blows warm air in the house. If I spin the fan blade with a screw driver the fan turns on.

AC fan unit not turning on... [ 8 Answers ]

So, I replaced the conduit protecting my AC wires to my heat pump/compressor outside. Steps I took are: 1. pulled the switch out powering the outside unit. 2. removed the cover from the panel (it is a carrier unit) 3. wrote down all of the wires and their positions on the screw terminals....

Fan on outside unit want stop turning [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn my unit off on the inside thermostat the fan outside still turns continually what is causing that?

Central air unit fan not turning when unit on [ 3 Answers ]

Recently our central air unit stop producing cool air and noticed our fan was not turning outside, and was making a loud humming noise, can this fan be replaced without replacing the entire unit :confused:

Fan is not turning in my unit outside [ 1 Answers ]

Myheating and air condition fan is not turning in my unit outside. Do you know why?

View more questions Search