Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomer62 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 07:01 PM
    Hampton Bay Model 184-201 fan will not come on
    The light works but the fan will not spin.
    Any suggestion as to which component could be causing the problem, receiver, motor, or internal capacitor would greatly be appreciated.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
    Did the fan ever run? Could be any of the things you noted. A second wall switch? Did you connect the wiring?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 22, 2012, 09:34 PM
    Did the fan ever run. Who installed? Ever check the wiring at the canopy. Second switch?

May 23, 2012, 05:44 AM
    Yes, the fan was working. I installed 2 units on my patio back in 2010.
    What exactly do you mean by second switch. It is contolled by the wall transmitter. The other unit works fine.
    Thanks for the reply.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2012, 07:27 AM
    You need to open the canopy and check the wire connections coming OUT of the receiver. White is neutral for both light and fan. We know power enters the receiver since you say the light works. Put a test led between the blue and white, it will show power to the light. Now test between the black and white, if no power then your transmitter or receiver is bad. Back to you.

May 23, 2012, 09:14 AM
    I will try it over the weekend and advise.
    Thanks again for all the help.

May 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
    I did open the canopy and found the 4.5 microF capacitor to be defective, replaced it and the fan is working now.
    Thanks again for all the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan model ac-552? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house with Hampton Bay, I believe, ceiling fans model AC-552. They have a globe light cover with no visible thumb screws. I've looked all around the unit, but can't figure out how to remove the light cover to replace the bulbs. Any suggestions?

Hampton Bay Fan Model 157 734 [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a Hampton Bay ceiling fan but I need need a 24" extension for it. I got one from Home depot but the diameter was to big. Where can I get one to fit model #157 734?

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Model # 55295 [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change the light on the Hampton Bay ceiling fan model # 55295. I cannot get the white dome light off.

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan, Sutherland Model [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased this ceiling fan at Home Depot and when I went to install it I noticed that the sockets for the light bulbs are supposedly for a Type A bulb but it is much smaller and it specifies 250V on the back section of the light fixture. I tried obtaining information on this model online...

Reversible Belmont Model Hampton Bay Fan [ 2 Answers ]

The manufacturer's shipping box indicated that the Belmont has a three-speed reversible fan function. I had the fan installed, but after installation I cannot find any way to reverse the direction of the rotation. How is it done?

View more questions Search