Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sswwolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
    Would appriciate information about how to get adopted (family already found)
    I'm over 18 and I live in Indiana. My parent's technically never left me however after being constantly pushed away for years I left and never looked back when I hit 18. I didn't want to be adopted when I first left because I was dealing with a lot of emotional drama and I wanted to make sure this is something I truly wanted instead of just wanting it at the time. I already found a family (I've been best friends with the youngest daughter since we were both 8 years old). I'm curious what we need to do for them to adopt me (cheapest way would be best).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Here's what you need, specific to Indiana: "(a) An individual who is at least eighteen (18) years of age may be adopted by a resident of Indiana:

(1) upon proper petition to the court having jurisdiction in probate matters in the county of residence of the individual or the petitioner for adoption; and

(2) with the consent of the individual acknowledged in open court.

(b) If the court in which a petition for adoption is filed under this section considers it necessary, the court may order:

(1) the type of investigation that is conducted in an adoption of a child who is less than eighteen (18) years of age; or

(2) any other inquiry that the court considers advisable;before granting the petition for adoption."

Indiana State Laws - Adopting an Adult

I appreciate that the economy is NOT good but I would not even attempt this without an Attorney. The cost should be reasonable (whatever reasonable is) because you apparently don't need to gather up signed consents.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I found out if I am adopted? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 30 years old and have been wrestling with this issue for many years. I believe in being direct and have asked both of my parents about wheather I was adopted. My mom and dad divorced when I was about 4 and I have constant contact with my mother & lost all contact with my father back in 2004....

How to find my adopted sister with little information [ 1 Answers ]

I am 32 live in Virginia. My dad died when I was 10. My mom and him were separated and in that time he got a women preganat. I am not sure of the pin pointing details but what I was told is that somehow she got taken away from her mother and put up for adoption. Her name was Grace. After my dad...

Found out my father was adopted [ 2 Answers ]

My father was born in New york in 1910 and died in 1985. My family decided to do a family tree and research were my fathers parents were born etc. Going through the archives we found out that on my fathers original birth certificate the father listed is not a name we recognize. The woman told us...

I have found my adopted sister after 16 years what now? [ 22 Answers ]

Hi let me start by telling you the good news... After 16 years I have found my sister.She was adopted when she was 1 year old and I have found her through the bt phone book... The bad news is I'm scared... Because I went looking for her and I don't know if that's against the law she will be 18 this...

I'm 63 and Just found out I'm adopted [ 12 Answers ]

I'm not sure this is the proper place to be asking this question but couldn't find any other category that fit. I'm 63 and just learned I was adopted. My dad adopted me when I was six months old. My mother promised she wouldn't tell me. He died and mom told me the truth. I loved my dad but I...

View more questions Search