Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HD2wheels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Water heater expansion tank
    I have a four year old water heater that is leaking out the pressure release down tube and there is an expansion tank fixed to the cold side. I tested the pressure on the expansion tank and it reads 0.00. Is there supposed to be some amount of pressure reading in the expansion tank or can I add some air to the tank to stop the pressure relief valve from leaking?

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 02:47 PM
    You may have a bad pressuure relaese valve but do you have a way to check the actual pressure inisde the heater? The valve might be doing what is made to do. The valve is only about $10 so putting in a new one won't hurt too much. This would be a good time to drain the tank and clear out sediment. Kill the fuel to the tank and open the drain cock at the bottom of the tank.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 05:35 AM
    What is the temperature of your hot water? What is the psi of your water? [pressure]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater as a holding tank for furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I frequently run out of hot water in the shower. I have a furnace that heats the water directly. My question is; Can I use a hot water heater as a holding tank, so I don't run out of hot water? If so what do I need to complete this task?

Water Heater Expansion Tank [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again. I meant an under the air conditioner hot water heater. The current one is 31" high. It has an expansion tank, but I was told it wasn't necessary. I'm in a second floor condo. Is it really necessary and if so, why? Thanks a lot.

Water heater expansion tank [ 2 Answers ]

I need a new water heater and one plumber says the expansion tank on the side is not necessary. Is it? What is the average cost of a 40 gal, under air water heater already hard wired? 2nd floor. Thanks

Explain expansion tank [ 1 Answers ]

My hot water heater seems to occasionally cause the water pressure to increase a lot. Is this what the expansion tank is for? If so how large is the tank and where does it go?

Water heater expansion tank [ 4 Answers ]

Read a post here concerning the water line back flow preventer/expansion tank and am familiar with its operation and purpose when using city water. My question is, is this setup recommended or even needed on a well water system? My feeling is that the holding tank would take up any expansion. ...

View more questions Search