Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlh5434 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Bought a car from a used car lot and wasn't given the title how do I get the title
    I bought a car from a used car lot. Wasn't given the title and have went round and round with them for over a yr. According to the DMV the title was released to the dealership. The owner first told me he was waiting for it to be mailed to him then he stated that he gave it to me. I have called repeatedly, went to the dealership numerous times, and left numerous messages. Now the dealership is out of business. What can I do. I do not have money to hire an atty and now my son has gotten a ticket due to the car not being licensed. I don't know what to do... HELP!
    jaytona500 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 07:59 AM
    Whoever the vehicle was last titled to needs to furnish you an invoice and bill of sale. DMV should be able to re-title with a bill of sale. It can't be a dealership that owns it, there has to be at least one individual.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytona500 View Post
    ... DMV should be able to re-title with a bill of sale. It can't be a dealership that owns it, there has to be at least one individual.
    I find that hard to believe. That rule would be state-specific I assume. OP should indicate what state this is.
    jaytona500 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 08:43 AM
    Let me clarify, with a valid bill of sale, the DMV should be able to do a VIN inspection. At that point, if the title is clear and the car doesn't come back stolen or otherwise, a title shouldn't be hard to obtain. Although that is how it is in Colorado. I bought a classic that hadn't been registered since 1980, and with a bill of sale, and a VIN inspection, they sent me a new title within 2 weeks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
    The fact they are out of business will be a big issue. Normally you would have sued them.

So start with DMV and ask them is there a procedure or anything you can do though them

But you may have to try and find the owner and sue him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytona500 View Post
    Let me clarify, with a valid bill of sale, the DMV should be able to do a VIN inspection. At that point, if the title is clear and the car doesn't come back stolen or otherwise, a title shouldn't be hard to obtain. Although that is how it is in colorado. I bought a classic that hadn't been registered since 1980, and with a bill of sale, and a VIN inspection, they sent me a new title within 2 weeks.
    The bill of sale will not state if there is a new lien that needs to be posted.
    And is the bill of sale notarized or somehow showing it is real, not forged.

I have never heard of getting a title to a car ( that is in someone else's name) from the DMV in YOUR name, You may get a copy of the title, in the current owners name, for them to sign over to you.

This would not work in any state I have ever lived in. In fact I know of several people who finally walked away from cars bought where the dealer went out of business and no title was ever gotten

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I bought a car from a dealership and it been 4 months and I still don't have a title? [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a car 4 months ago and just found out that there is no title to the car. The dealer keeps giving me the run around and now I found out that he is trying to file for an abandoned title. Is this legal? I feel cheated.

Bought car w/ no title [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a car from a friend who later said he lost the title. I have a bill of sale. Is that enough? How do I get a title for the car?

I bought a used car, but the dealer is not giving me the title. [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a second hand car a few months ago. The Dealer promised to give me the car's title in 5 or 6 weeks. And, the Dealer wrote down "clean title" in the contract as well. After a month Or so, the dealer said I must pay 146$ more to have the title for my Car. The fact was a rental company...

View more questions Search