Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hans polman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2004, 09:58 AM
    DSO Exploit
    Since a few month my computer (XP homeedition) switches of power unexpectely. Especially when info is transferred from one to another place.
    Like editing films, watching DVD etc.
    After running Spybot I found out the PC is infected with DSO Exploit.
    I treid allmost everything but the PC kept switching of the power by itself.
    Finally I run the recovery disc in order to get rid of this problem.
    But: during recovery the computer switched off power and data was lost, probably forever.
    Restarting recoverydisks is possible but the computer keeps switching of power at unexpected times and different interfalls.
    Please give me a solution if there is any

Rgds Hans Polman
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 11, 2004, 09:15 PM
    Hans,

The DSO exploit will not cause your computer to shut off automatically.

Since the problem occurred when you booted from your Recovery disc, it is very unlikely this is a software problem. I believe you have a hardware problem.

The most likely cause is overheating. Many motherboards will automatically shut off if they detect the termperature is too high. As a suggestion, try clearing dust from your computer fans using a can of compressed air (you should be able to find one at your local computer store). You can also try lowering the ambient temperature and providing additional ventilation.

~psi42
    hans polman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2004, 05:47 AM
    DSO Exploit
    G.M.

Many thanks for swift reply,

I thouht of overheating already.
    I cleaned the ventilation.
    I run the PC until batary was empty and recharged again.
    I treid another power adapter.
    Anyway thanks again. My next step will be to go to the workshop.

Rgds Hans
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 12, 2004, 06:22 AM
    It's a laptop? Suspect the battery too then.
    The DSO exploit, as PSI42 said, is not causing trouble.
    It even is not an infection. Just a security hole in WIN-IE, that is fixed by Windows Update patches. And yes, Spybot and others will still report it after applying the fix. You may ignore it. See:
    http://www.pchell.com/support/dsoexploit.shtml
    Where it's also explained how to get rid of it.
    FMX Paul Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2004, 08:35 PM
    Dso
    Yeah, the DSO isn't your problem. Ignoring it doesn't solve anything either! Follow the thread, read it carefully (all pages) and you will be taught how to get rid of DSO Exploit. It is a serious problem, that must be handled through the registry of your computer!

The guys at this site can guide you through it. Read the thread in its entirety.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 31, 2004, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX Paul
    Read the thread in its entirety.
    ... especially the part about how the vulnerability was patched by Microsoft some time ago. :)
    FMX Paul Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2004, 10:35 PM
    Oh, I realize that it's erroneous, but to eliminate spybot from finding it, I had to do the regedit workaround. Fully updated, you can ignore the finding, but how would you know if it was being exploited AGAIN?
    That's why I did the edit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DSO Exploit [ 6 Answers ]

My computer (XP) switched off automatically. After running spypot; I found out the computer was infected by DSO Exploit. I treid all kind off salutions but without any succes. At last I decided to run the recoverydisc. During recovery the PC allso keeps switching of. Now my PC cannot run XP...

DSO Exploit fix [ 33 Answers ]

Hi, I have had that stupid DSO Exploit until 30 minutes ago. I ran Spybot & have managed to get rid of it by getting into regedit & replacing value in the folder 1004 from 0 to 3 (5 times, that is). However, although they are all gone, I cannot get my Home page to remember my setting. It...

DOS Exploit [ 10 Answers ]

I ran spybot and came up with DOS exploit.  I've tried a few of the tips previous users gave but it is still showing up.  I have the CWShredder but I have no idea what to do with it.  The computer guys at my school installed all these items and didn't explain what they do.  I don't want to do...

View more questions Search