Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmc2pac20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 04:25 PM
    Do you have to be licensed to own a cleaning company in nj
    My friend and I love to clean, so we thought why not open our own, home based, cleaning company. Can anyone give us some pointers of where to begin?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

May 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Most municipalities/states require a business license.

Are you considering residential or commercial cleaning?

Either way it is highly recommended that you incorporate and get liability insurance to protect you and your clients. Most customers require that you have insurance.

Running a successful business means more than just the cleaning part though.

Good luck

Stringer

May 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
    I would like to start commercial. I have a full time job and would like to start doing this in the weekends/ some nights. I understand business is mostly all nights. I researched the insurance costs, and the license, not bad. Would you recommend an llc? Do you have your own business?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
    It is not that we recommend a license, one is either required ( normally) or you live in a area that does not have that requirement, ( in that case you most likely can not even get a license)

So if you have researched it, and it exists you will need it. Also I would not consider it without insurance, there are so many things that can happen.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

May 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc2pac20 View Post
    I would like to start out commercial. I have a full time job and would like to start out doing this in the weekends/ some nights. I understand business is mostly all nights. I researched the insurance costs, and the license, not bad. Would you recommend an llc? Do you have your own business?
    Yes, I have had my own commercial cleaning company for 20 years and we are an S Corp, better tax breaks.

There is a lot more to running a cleaning company than just the cleaning; administration, sales, pricing, labor, operations, etc. And to be successful you need all of these 2Pac.

Stringer

Oct 7, 2012, 06:27 PM
    Hello stringer, I'm hoping you can help me again, please. My office just recently moved and my boss was looking for a cleaning person, I said I would do it and now I need help on what to charge. The building is 5500sq ft. It has 5bathrooms, 1 kitchen. Carpet/tile/hardwood. It is too much to do on my own so my friend helps as well. It took us 6 hours the first time, since it was newly constructed and it was frankly amess. We went back tonight and was there for another 4 hours. Not sure if I should charge by the hour or sq ft. It's a lot of hard work, and I don't want to charge to little. Please help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I go to get licensed and bonded for a cleaning job [ 4 Answers ]

There's a medical company looking for someone to clean their office, but they want someone licensed and bonded, where do I go to get this done? And how much doe's this cost? I was cleaning homes but never was licensed or bonded.

Cleaning Contractors Licensed [ 8 Answers ]

Do you have to have a cleaning contractors license to start a cleaning business?

How do I open my own insurance company in GA? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Georgia and have recently passed the P&C insurance exam. I want to start my own independent insurance company selling property and auto insurance. What do I need to do next?

View more questions Search