Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlangwick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Show stall tile replacement
    The ceramic tile floor in the shower has started to loosen and crack after 22 years of use. I have started to remove the loose tiles in an attempt to replace the shower stall floor with new ceramic tile. Under the tile is what appears to be sand about 1 7/8 inches thick. Some areas are loose sand and others appear to have been mortar or cement. This find was a surprise. How should I proceed from this point?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 09:05 AM
    I think it all used to be cement and has deteriorated. The best thing to do is chip out the entire bed of cement and create a new pan. This is no small task so you may want to approach a pro for estimates.
    Jamie88 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Mar 3, 2007, 01:58 PM
    The substrate beneath the tile is what is called in the tile business a "mud" floor. It is portland cement mixed with sand. Over the years, the "mud" floor loses its strength and becomes week. If the floor is coming loose, there is probably only one answer. Underneath the tile and mud there is a shower pan. The pan in your house is most likely a lead pan (As in lead in a pencil) These type of pans typically wear out and begin leaking in about 20 to 25 years after installation. Lead pans are no longer used. These days, we have gone to a pan that resembles the rubber material in a swimming pool. In order to to replace the pan and the floor, you will need to take out the first 2 or 3 rows of tile on the wall as well. Most that I have done work for have decided to replace the entire shower. Mostly because the tile in your floor is most likely a discontinued tile and will be hard to match. You don't have to replace the entire shower, you can the pan, mud floor, and the first 2 or 3 rows of tile around the bottom, and everything will be fine. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile Shower stall leaking [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a shower stall a year ago. It has begun to leak. It is on the second floor, and I was able to open the ceiling just below it to see. The water is leaking from around the drain itself. The shower stall pan was installed with a poly sheet.. according to the directions... so that...

Super Stall [ 15 Answers ]

Is super stall the same as deep stall

Stall shower (tile floor instilation) [ 9 Answers ]

I am replacing a tile floor in a stall shower. I hve come across two (2) products that are used under the tile. The tile would be cemented to the product used.One product is called HARDIBACKER and the other product is CEMENT BOARD. I am at a lose as too which product is better. Does anyone have...

Shower tile replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife wants me to replace the ceramic tile in our walk in shower. It has white grout that she has a hard time keeping clean, plus she dosen't like the tile. The shower walls are the standard cultured marble type. Its on a slab and does not leak. My question is can I just take out the old tile...

Shower stall replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one piece fiberglass shower stall that I want to remove and replace. The drain pipe is PVC with a metal flange and some lead, how do I remove it?

View more questions Search