Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tadlette Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2012, 05:51 PM
    Kitten not moving. Seizure? Anemia? Paralysis?
    As I write this it is 7:40pm
    At around 5, my brother and I gave our 6 week old kitten a bath in warm water with a bit of dish soap as an attempt to make it easier to brush fleas off her.
    After the bath she was trembly and sleepy (she's often sleepy around that time of day)so I wrapped her up in a towel and petted her and dried her off, after a bit she climbed out of the towel and nuzzled in beside me, a couple times I'd shift and she'd get up and move to a different spot, it was fairly normal behavior, she did shiver for maybe 10-15 minutes.
    At about 5:30 my brother came by and picked her up to play with her, she meowed in alarm and I scolded him for waking her up. Then I noticed that she had dribbled poop and that she was still pooping, so I pushed her off the couch and got a towel to clean up, after I cleaned I noticed that she hadn't caught her self from the push at all, she was laying in a very dead looking way on the floor where she had landed. She was breathing and after poking she started twitching. My brother said this had happened once before and that Mom thought it was a seizure.
    I called a local vet and they advised bringing her in (which we can't afford) and maybe rubbing some honey or corn syrup on her gums, 'cause it could be hypoglycemia. She'd been fed KMR a few times earlier that day, so it shouldn't be anemia or hypoglycemia, but we tried the honey anyway, she lifted her head abit and twitched her paws at the finger but hasn't perked up at all. We tried to give her her bottle but she couldn't or wouldn't open her mouth at all and twitched her clawed paws at the hand that was trying to feed her. Around 6:50 she coughed or something a few times and we were able to open her mouth after that and drip some milk in, some of which she swallowed and some she drooled out. She's been laying in the same limp position for the last hour with only her eyelids occasionally closing or opening a bit.
    When she did this before, she was fine the next day, but this is very distressing.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Work out a payment plan with the vet if she's still alive by Monday. Or get her to an animal shelter and they will take over with their vet.

May 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
    9:20 pm she started purring and moving he tongue a bit, she regained some motion in her front legs and seemingly complete control over hind legs, we gave her some milk and she could swallow a bit more, even if she still doesn't have complete neck control or ability to suck well. By 9:35 she's able to kind of waddle around
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 19, 2012, 08:58 PM
    My goodness…how old are you and your brother? Where is your mother? You do not shove, push, throw, slam or toss a kitten off a high bed, couch, sofa, counter or any high object. It can cause sever injury or death. Give the kitten opportunity to use the litter so you or anyone else does not become frustrated should a kitten defecate or urinate on a bed or any sitting area; it is NOT the kitten's fault. The kitten is helpless and you are supposed to be a patient and kind animal care provider and caregiver. I doubt the kitten will survive, but if it does you should take it to a no-kill animal shelter or see if they will pick it up, as some of them will at no charge. If you cannot afford a vet then you should not have any animals, as much as you might want one, it is cruel to allow an animal to suffer. At least keep the kitten hydrated, if difficulty in accepting water, try the juice of a can of tuna. Give it moist kitty food at this time. Be kind and loving; keep comfortable and safe from this moment on…the kitten depends on you, as it is helpless. Be gentle…

May 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
    Now she's scampering around and drinking enthusiastically from the bottle, appears to be fully recovered. We'll take her to a vet on Mon though to see why this happens
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
    I agree with First Chair and WG 100%!

First, this is a very young baby. She's only 6 weeks old! Why is she even away from her mother? Or do you own the mother, and are you allowing the mother to breed even though you can't afford vet care?

This whole thing just makes me sick, and I don't think I can give an answer without being harsh, so I'll say the only thing that needs to be said. Either get this poor kitten to a vet, see if the toss off the sofa did any damage, or if there's another issue, or bring the kitten to the humane society so it has a chance. Either way, this kitten needs vet care. There's nothing anyone can do for it online, and the way you've handled this kitten tells me that the best course of action would be to re-home it, give it up for adoption to someone that actually knows how to handle a tiny baby. You don't, and shouldn't.

Bottom line. If you can't afford vet care, don't have pets.

Oct 16, 2012, 06:07 PM
    ... cats jump off things all the time--she jumped off the couch all the time, being pushed off the edge of a couch will not normally hurt a kitten who can run and jump, y'all kind of over reacted and gave mostly terrible advice.

Most areas don't have "no kill" shelters, and even when they do, they tend to cost even more money than a normal shelter. If you're advocating abandoning pets at a shelter, then you're kind of an . This is one of several cats that were abandoned at our house that we were taking care of when we did not have the means to do so. Condemn us for taking in abandoned 2 week old kittens and then claim we're abusive 'cause we can't afford emergency vet care, at least we got them through infancy, spayed/neutered, got them basic vaccinations and eventually got all but 3 of them rehomed (the remaining cats--all with good vet care--live outdoors). Including this one that we tended until it was well and then found a loving and funded home to care for it.

"how old are you and your brother? Where is your mother?" off. I'm 23, my brother's 14, but even if we were young, I'd called my mother, I'd called the vet, what do you expect that yelling at someone who you're thinking may be a child will do?
    My family makes YOU sick for trying to take care of abandoned animals? YOU, Ally, make me sick. All moralistic hype and no ing means. How much do you donate to your local clinic? 'Cause ours has a waiting list at least a month or two long for giving up your pets, because the owners in our neighborhoods never spay/neuter and then abandon pets at the shelter. Overwhelmed owners don't have humane outlet. We've never bought a friggin' cat, every one was "adopted" when they were semi-feral kittens roaming our yard. Judgmental .
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadlette View Post
    ... cats jump off of things all the time--she jumped off of the couch all the time, being pushed off the edge of a couch will not normally hurt a kitten who can run and jump, y'all kind of over reacted and gave mostly terrible advice.

Most areas don't have "no kill" shelters, and even when they do, they tend to cost even more money than a normal shelter. If you're advocating abandoning pets at a shelter, then you're kind of an . This is one of several cats that were abandoned at our house that we were taking care of when we did not have the means to do so. Go ahead and condemn us for taking in abandoned 2 week old kittens and then claim we're abusive 'cause we can't afford emergency vet care, at least we got them through infancy, spayed/neutered, got them basic vaccinations and eventually got all but 3 of them rehomed (the remaining cats--all with good vet care--live outdoors). Including this one that we tended until it was well and then found a loving and funded home to care for it.

"how old are you and your brother? Where is your mother?" off. I'm 23, my brother's 14, but even if we were young, I'd called my mother, I'd called the vet, what do you expect that yelling at someone who you're thinking may be a child will do?
    My family makes YOU sick for trying to take care of abandoned animals? YOU, Ally, make me sick. All moralistic hype and no ing means. How much do you donate to your local clinic? 'Cause ours has a waiting list at least a month or two long for giving up your pets, because the owners in our neighborhoods never spay/neuter and then abandon pets at the shelter. Overwhelmed owners don't have humane outlet. We've never bought a friggin' cat, every one was "adopted" when they were semi-feral kittens roaming our yard. Judgmental .
    I posted based on what you wrote. You wrote that you have a kitten that you pushed off the couch, it didn't land right, and now looks "dead" , lethargic and listless.

You said you didn't have the money for vet care. We can't diagnose online.

If you don't give the info, you get what you get, none of us can read your mind, we can only read your post and go by that.

You can pretend that you were in the right all you want, and wax poetic about your humanitarian deeds, but the bottom line, you wrote a question, and I posted based on what you wrote.

It's up to you, the poster, to give the correct info. If you don't do that, and you don't like the answer because it's not accurate based on what you didn't tell us, well guess what, that's on you, not me.

I find it hilarious that you suddenly come back after all this time, posting all the things you think I didn't advice correctly. Well, if you knew the answer why did you ask the question? I'll tell you why. Because you didn't know. So why are you back to harp on me? Because you didn't want to hear the truth.

Good bye and good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Male cat acting kitten to male kitten after bringing kitten home neutered. [ 1 Answers ]

I have three cats, Microchip, Monk and Minx. Microchip and Minx are 1+ years old and fixed. Monk is about 6 months old. All of our cats used to get along well. They'd sleep all huddled together. The two males were very close. Micro would groom Monk, play with him, and was inseparable. We took Monk...

Sleep Paralysis? [ 3 Answers ]

I wasn't sure where this should go. There is a very strange thing that happens to me sometimes, but only sometimes... When I'm asleep, I dream of being awake. Sometimes I'm sure that I am awake, but I can't move. I'm just lying there and fight and fight and fight to open my eyes or move...

Sleep Paralysis [ 7 Answers ]

(To under stand more about this please visit sleep paralysis - Google Search Unfortunately, I have sleep paralysis. For those who don't know its problem when you sleep. What happens is, when sleeping, your body becomes paralyzed and as much as you want to move, talk, scream, or even breathe...

View more questions Search