Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dank740 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2012, 11:15 AM
    AC condenser fan will not start
    What causes an hvac condenser fan not to start, but when you give it a slight push it will run? Could it be the capacitor or the fan itself?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 19, 2012, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dank740 View Post
    what causes an hvac condenser fan not to start, but when you give it a slight push it will run? Could it be the capacitor or the fan itself?
    If you have the proper tools you can test the capacitor if not replace it since it is the cheapest item. If that does not work then you will need a new motor and a new capacitor that matches the motor capacitor rate. NOTE Some motors use different capacitor values.
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

May 21, 2012, 08:14 AM
    Capacitor if it will run with a nudge or it is out on a heat overload.

If it is tough to move the blade than the windings are shot - new motor

You may get to new motor anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a carrier 38tkb 024 a/c unit that the condenser fan will not start. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I diagnose the fan motor? The switch and the condenser seem to be working. The fan motor spins freely and is getting power. What else is in the circuit to start the fan. The motor is a ge model 5kcp39bgs162s 1/12 hp

Condenser fan won't start [ 3 Answers ]

When my unit kicks on, the condenser fan won't start running unless I give it a nudge. Once I start it spinning, it runs fine, but when it stops, it won't start on its own again. I took the motor off & brought it to a repair shop. He checked it out & said it's good, but capacitor was bad. Got a new...

Heating and Air conditioning condenser fan will not start [ 4 Answers ]

After installing new capacitor, new contactor and new time delay switch on split system ac the condenser fan still will not start. What should I check next?

Condenser fan won't start by itself [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I replaced my condenser/heatpump unit about 6 years ago with a Ducane unit it worked fine until 2 summers ago. My friend replaced the Capacitor. Last summer the fan motor went bad. We replaced the motor and Capacitor. Now this year my fan won't come on unless I spin it to get it started....

Condenser fan fails to start intermittently [ 1 Answers ]

Condenser fan sometimes fails to start (notably after its been running for some time). After I de-energize the unit for ~ 1/2 hr, it it then starts up. 1. Do I need to replace fan and capacitor? 2. The installed capacitor has 3 leads with a resistor across 2 terminals. Do I find a like...

View more questions Search