Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anthony Parson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Château Margaux Pavilion Rouge 1996
    I have been given (lucky me) a magnum of 1996 Château Margaux Pavilion Rouge and would like to know whether I should drink it now or will it continue to improve with age.

If the latter, then when is it best to drink?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 25, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Pavilion Rouge de Château Margaux is Chateau Margaux's secondary label.
    This is a truly awesome wine.
    1996 was a good vintage and will keep well.
    Now normally I'd say keep it for 15-20 years to get the most from it, but as it's a mgnum, I'd say look closer to 20+, so drinking at it's peak would be from 2016 onwards.
    Wines in magnum (1.5 litre equivalent to 2 normal bottles) mature slower due the there being less air in relationship to the volume.
    A lot of classical producers say that magnum bottled wines are the best for long term storage.

Now as to storage you'll need to find somewhere dark, vibration free and constant temperature around 10 - 12 degrees C. Under the stairs is NOT good for long term storage and certainly not the kitchen as the temperature varies too much over the course of a day.
    Best stored on its side to ensure the cork doesn't dry out and then the wine will oxidise quickly.
    Did it come in a box, if so you can safely store it next to the house wall of a garage, off the floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Application recovery - HP Pavilion [ 1 Answers ]

I can not restore sound to my computer. This happened a few years ago and I reformatted the computer. I would like to know if I can use the application recovery disk to restore my systems original settings but not lose everything that is already installed on my computer. (Other software,...

1996 Chevy Lumina ?'s [ 3 Answers ]

So let me start by saying this... I don't know anything about cars, this is why I'm here. I'm a single mom who doesn't want to be given the run around! Ive had my car for about 2 years and it seems about every 3-4 months my service engine soon light comes on and my car drives really rough and...

HP pavilion dv2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I am an i.t guy and I have a lot of diagnostic tools to determine what's wrong.. also I have inserted the recovry disks that came with it.. none of the tools I have can see the hard drive at all and when I go to start up windows I get a blue screen flash really fast.. I can't see the screen or...

View more questions Search