Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Debbitx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2012, 05:25 PM
    My house has settled slightly, and my back door (deadbolt) will not lock. How to fix
    We've had our house's foundation leveled, but our back door's deadbolt will not lock. How would I go about fixing this?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 18, 2012, 05:51 PM
    How far off is it? Will it lock of the door lock isn't engauged or does it just seem way off?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Does the door close OK? Does the key lock set engage its striker correctly?

If these are OK, relocate the striker for the dead bolt. U will have to fill the screw holes in jamb. Use a small piece of wood with glue. If the striker is installed correctly, the screws will be long enough to reach the stud.

Chuck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2012, 07:23 PM
    Well properly, if the house is "settled" it means your foundation and/or the floor is no longer level and/or the house has shifted.

Having a professional investigate and find out why, idea you would level the house if it is not level.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freezer door pops open slightly when refrigerator door is closed. [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Amana bottom freezer refrigerator and when I close the refrigerator door the freezer door opens ever so slightly, so one is not aware it is open. Also, when you gently close the feezer door it stops short of forming a seal and you need to push it to get it to close.

Double cylinder deadbolt lock drips a watery oil-like substance down the door. [ 3 Answers ]

I removed a 17-year-old double cylinder Weiser lock that had dripped for a couple of years, and cleaned it up, but it didn't help. I replaced it with a brand new Kwikset a few weeks ago, and now it's doing the same thing. Any suggestions on how to stop this?

Rear back door lock on vectra 1998 [ 1 Answers ]

My rear back on my 1998 vectra as locked and cannot be opened from inside or out ? I've taken door panel off all rods connecting look OK. What else could it be ?

Commercial Deadbolt Fix [ 4 Answers ]

I made the mistake of hiring a real hack to install a commercial entry door. The frame was overtightened, so I now have to use 3 strike plates on the lower lock to get a tight fit. He also used a 2-3/4" hole saw to make the cut for the deadbolt instead of the 2-1/8" that was supposed to be used....

View more questions Search