Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    defodilmr Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
    Do I need a license?
    Hi, there I have got a beautician diploma recently. From USA.. I m new in Canada and I'm wishing to open a small beauty parlor most likely you can say a salon at home. In that salon I want to do only make-up artistry, some facials, and waxing. That's it!! I just wanted to know do I need a license for that or NO??
    As far as I have gathered the info the Google says it doesn't need any license but I need some expert people guides thanks :)

Can I start a small salon at home with a diploma as professional beautician from usa??
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
    To answer part of your question: You get a diploma from a school or institute for coursework you have successfully completed. You get a license from the state in order to run a business. Most states demand that you apply for and get a license when you mess with people's bodies or minds.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2012, 07:15 PM
    Diid you ever license in the US in any state.

And you moved to Canada, what type of VISA are you living there on, does it allow you to work.

But yes there are several license you will need. Same as any business, including your home will need to allow a part time business. You need to talk to a local beauty shop and they will give you the business license authority, business license, and then a visit to the zoning departmetn

May 17, 2012, 07:26 PM
    Hi :) thanks for your reply... if I have gotten the diploma as a professional beautician from usa. Then can I start a small kind of salon at home? That salon would include only make-up application occasionally, some facials and waxing.

And wouldn't include hair cutting, colouring, waving,permanent straightening, manicure and pedicure.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2012, 07:29 PM
    A saloon is where the owner serves alcohol, like a bar. A salon is for hair or nail care, for personal care. I've been correcting your spelling, figuring you were not planning to establish a bar.

May 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
    O I c but I'm not offering such kind of thing... I m thinking to name my parlor as a BEAUTY LOUNGE
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by defodilmr View Post
    hi :) thanks for your reply...if i have gotten the diploma as a professional beautician from usa. then can i start a small kind of salon at home? that salon would include only make-up application occasionally, some facials and waxing.

and wouldn't include hair cutting, colouring, waving,permanent straightening, manicure and pedicure.
    Like Fr_Chuck said, visit a few salons that do this and ask about how they became licensed--at a Province office or what? Then ask the licensing office about how your US training impacts your setting up a business.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2012, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by defodilmr View Post
    o i c but i m not offering such kind of thing...i m thinking to name my parlor as a BEAUTY LOUNGE
    It would still be a salon, not a saloon.

May 17, 2012, 07:36 PM
    YUP I have visited certain salons and asked them but when I ask them about license they say we need a license because we do hair services... that's the only answer I get
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2012, 07:45 PM
    Which Province are you in?

May 17, 2012, 07:47 PM
    Ontario
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
    Look at the jobs in the left margin -- http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...TYLIST_CM.html

Do any fit your salon idea?

May 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
    Yeah that was an excellent link... but that was for regarding a hair stylist and I'm saying it again and again that I'm not going to offer any hair services... so I think its proved that a beautician doesn't need any license to offer some of the salon services at home... or may be you can call it as a volunteer salon beautician/cosmetologist... this is what I am assuming
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
    But it's for Ontario, gives immigration and contact information.

May 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
    I'm in ontario too :p
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2012, 08:16 PM
    Yes, I found a site FOR YOU that gives info on immigrants setting up a business in Ontario. It has good information, including a page for contacting the proper office.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
    This is going nowhere fast.

Basically, you've been told what others think and it seems that the consensus is that you will need a license.

Maybe we're wrong, maybe not... go to your business center (whatever it is in Ontario) and find out if you need one. Chances are that you do. Hair, no hair... I doubt that makes a difference. You're working on people, charging money to do so... that's really what matters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to wait to deep-condition my hair in a salon after dying it at home? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to re-dye my hair (at home), but I also need to get it deep conditioned in a salon. Do I have to or how long should I wait after dying it at home to get it conditioned? Will it damage my hair? Please help

Can I transfer my cosmetology license to Canada? [ 0 Answers ]

I am getting my cosmetology license here in the states (Chicago). I should have it within the next month, or so. I am considering moving to Yorkton, Canada soon after, and I can't seem to find any concrete licensing requirements, other than the Cosmetology Industry Asociation of Ontario-but it...

Can a F2 can obtain a license based on the visa? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an F 1 Student with my OPT (optional Practical training) which started this month ( July). I am legally allowed to reside and have a driving license in the US until July of next year. If I were to marry someone who is currently not in any status, I understand it may be a little complicated but...

Wine license for home based business [ 3 Answers ]

For my homebased business, I am planning to sell fine import wines from Europe. Do I need to get a liquor license to sell wine online. Your prompt response will be greatly appreciated. Michael

At-home to salon to at-home color [ 3 Answers ]

I had red hair most of my life. It got more brown as I got older. I used to color my hair at home to get some of the red back and give it body. A friend talked me into going to a salon to let them color my hair professionally. The salon uses a 2 step process. They neutralize my 90% gray roots...

View more questions Search