Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sakura_gundams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 10:58 PM
    Can big business be a force for good?
    Can someone help me with this topic... I'm suppose to write an essay on it but I don't know what points to write
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 11:08 PM
    Does their product help people?
    Does their product harm people? Tobacco, alcohol etc.
    Do they use cheap labor (sweat shops) in foreign countries?
    Is Cheney or some one named Bush on the board of directors?
    Are they (drug companies) lobbying (paying off law makers) to have their vaccines mandatorily given to school girls for STDs that cause cervical cancer?
    belsammael Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Mar 10, 2008, 10:55 PM
    It depends in what way, and of course on your definition of what is good; big businesses can help stimulate a country's economy, or help promote and distribute a product or service which can make life easier. Production of medicine is also a fine example. But in all these cases it depends on the company's approach: do they ask a cheap price for their service/goods or do they try to make a good buck out of it, by milking the consumer dry?

A more direct method: some businesses invest in things worthwhile, such as a more efficient energy source, or smaller things like restoring/improving the local neighbourhood. Others (or their CEO's) donate to charity funds...
    carmex Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Dec 1, 2008, 04:41 PM

I find that question totally ridiculous and being asked from the perspective that the default is that big business is bad, and "Is it possible for big business to be force for good."

Every year big business employs millions and millions of people which allows people to buys homes, put food on the table, purchase goods and services from others who then in turn can provide for their families.

Every year big business donates millions and millions of dollars to charitable organizations. They have blood drives and community work days. They often get people involved in civic organizations they might not be involved with otherwise. Most big businesses have entire departments and organizations dedicated to "charitable giving" or community involvement.

This of course doesn't even address the businesses where their actual business is something which is aimed at improving peoples lives, the community or the environment. This is just a few of the ways that big business in general can be a "force for good."
    handell Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2010, 09:00 AM

NO, because they are driven by profits & most intelligent people already do not trust them.
    handell Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2010, 09:00 AM

EXAMPLE:
    DATE: MAY 1, 2010

WAR ON BIG BUSINESS - PROACTIVE
    "so many times we are done wrong & seldom take the ime to act upon it"

My name is handell,
    I have recently been done over yet again by another big business scam. This time it was Proactive (AKA - Guthy-Renker Corporation). You may have seen the commercial for a acne free kit a while back where the price is insinuated for a mere 19.95. What they fail to tell you is that it's a monthly payment deal, then they keep billing you each month for 19.95. Most folks (I think) are getting this for there kids so the information is sometimes relayed from TV to KID to the PARENT to the CREDIT CARD to PROCTIVE pocekets.

If a busy person does not pay attention they would never know that they have just been ripped off by the choice of words developed by a whole team of marketing experts & lawyers. I mean how can you compete with an entire team.

Well Im accidentally noticed the withdraws on my statement & inquired about it. They told me that there was nothing could do about it. Then to boot, my son told me the product did not even work. So I was able to return it on the money back guarantee premise. Well They only sent me back 1 of the payments so when I inquired about the other payment they have not answered any emails since.

This statement is to raise awareness of any scandalous big business corporations who in tough economic times have resorted to schemes against the public. I mean come on, as if making people feel ugly & selling them a useless product (praying on their weakness) isn't bad enough, some companies have to devise ways to bloodsuck us as well.

So the next time you buy a product that is run by a big business, please take heed of true intention behind the corporations is to make money, money, money. So if you are not paying attenton, you will on oaccasion & in shame get ripped off. A good way to combat this is to help me raise awareness of such scandalls is to share with friends, email friends, add to or repost this blog. Also check your bank or card statements periodically to be on the lookout for such activity. There out there folks & its up to us to FIGHT BACK!!

Sincerely the opinions of,

handell

My contact: [email protected]

------------------------------------
    MORE INFO ABOUT PROACTIVE:
    The "Proactiv Solution" brand is owned by Guthy-Renker Corporation.

Corporate Headquarters:
    41-550 Eclectic Street Suite 200
    Palm Desert, CA 92260
    Phone: 760-773-9022
    Fax: 760-773-9016

Website: Guthy-Renker, LLC. | Direct to Success | Guthy-Renker.com
    Proactive contact:[email protected]

BEWARE
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 09:21 AM

It is possible for a big business to be a positive force, however, most of the time you will find that greed lies at the heart of most large corporations.

Even when you look at the majority of good deeds that a corporation does, you will find that the heart of intent is surrounded by money. Why did slave trade last so long in the US? What happened during the Industrial Revolution before regulation? The only reason that most companies no longer practice such atrocities is due to regulation by the government.

Let me illustrate this:

Coupons: Get a discount if you shop at my store, while I flash tons of advertisements at you. If a store was truly in business to offer you the best prices, it would have them, not make erroneous offers such as these.

Memberships: Pretty much the same as coupons. They rope you in to going there.

Charitable Giving: It puts their name on a good cause, people like to feel like they are accomplishing something good, so they reason that if I just do what I normally do and go here, I am doing something good. Not to mention it is often use much like coupons. "For every dollar you spend we'll give ten cents" if they really wanted to help out, they would just fork over the money.

Employment: This operates more by the laws of supply and demand. However, many companies are guilty of only hiring part time, minimum wage, as to avoid paying overtime, benefits, and other things. They are willing to pay more for a better worker, but only because they know that he/she will better the company's efficiency.

I suppose if it wasn't for a proper balance of available workers to available jobs, unions, and federal regulation, it would be far worse. Even so, many companies are outsourcing to other countries that are less regulated.

You will also notice they are seldom willing to eat a profit. Say the government places new restrictions on Product A that makes it 5% more costly to produce. The factories are already making a 35% profit on the item. Rather than cutting their loss to make the consumer happy, the standard option seems to be "we'll increase cost by 10% and blame the government."

Like I said, you usually can follow the money if you want to see the motives behind any company. This is not to say that it is not possible for such a company to be a positive force, but rather just not very often do we see one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

In a big, BIG hole. Have small shovel. [ 1 Answers ]

I was just served papers for a debt that I owe on a vehicle that was repo'ed. The vehicle, which was a 2005 Lotus Elise was purchased by myself and a company (the company did not have sufficient credit to purchase the car and I did not have the income to purchase the car, but together we were...

A big big big problem. [ 1 Answers ]

OK.. this one is weird. When I insert a cd in my cd-rom it reads it but it doesn't updates it. Not this is not a big problem but when I insert a writable cd and click on write these new files to this cd, I get the error that there is no cd in the cd-rom. Then I restart my operating system with the...

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

View more questions Search