Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jseiler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Laminate flooring
    I live in Columbus Ohio. We had some laminate floors installed in most of our first floor. We have noticed the floor crunches and cracks when you walk on it. Mostly when the humidity goes up. We were told that this is normal. We had the gap all around the floors check to make sure there was a proper gap, there is. We also had room separators put in between each room to make the areas smaller for expansion. We have two rooms that are sort of large, one is 12 by 14 feet and the other is 25 by 14 feet. The rest of the areas are very small maybe 8 by 7 feet. Do we have to always run the AC to keep down the noise? Is the environment causing the problem? I thought the floating floor was supposed to move when it expanded there by alleviating noise? What can we do to get rid of the noise without the AC. We like the windows open.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 17, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Air conditioning reduces humidity. Humidity swells laminate. Swelled laminate makes noise since the joints are compressed together.
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 05:22 PM
    You said you have perimitaer gaps? How much of a gap, sounds to me you didn't give enough... gap size needs to be 1/4", 3/8" won't cut it.
    And seams need to be staggered 12" from another.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 05:37 PM
    The cheaper the laminate the noiser it will be. Did you install a foam roll on the sub floor before the install? What brand did you buy?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate flooring [ 14 Answers ]

I need help! We had about 500 square feet of extra thick laminate installed in the entruway to our master bedroom, the hallway, two walk-in closets and the bathroom vanity area. The laminate was placed upon an underlay called "Floormuffler". Immediately after the installation, we experienced a...

Laminate flooring transition to raised vinyl flooring [ 4 Answers ]

Installer put new 1/4' subfloor in bathroom last year when installing new Tarkett (vinyl) flooring, with a metal strip transition to existing hall carpet. Now we are installing 12mm laminate in hall, which with underlay, is approximately the same height. However, when the metal strip was removed,...

Laminate flooring [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best saw blade (tooth wise) to cut laminate flooring

Laminate Flooring [ 7 Answers ]

I need help... I am trying to figure out what is the best brand for me to buy between a 7mm quickstep and a 12mm St James brand. I was told that the 7mm quick step was such a good product that I could go lower in the thickness and it would be just as good as 12mm with other brands. Does anybody...

Laminate Flooring [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I bought some laminate flooring and after about 5-6 months it seems like one area of the floor has air underneath it. We left a .25 inch space around the whole livingroom but we still have a huge problem. What can we do to fix this. It seems like one section of the flooring looks...

View more questions Search