Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Feb 24, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Young menopause due to cancer treatments
    I am 27 and have only had three periods over the past 5 years. I had chemo treatments years ago that the doctors had to stop my menses for. After the treatments were done they had problems getting them to start again but after 6 months they did. Then about 5 years ago they stopped. My weight is good and I'm no more stressed than usual and in the best shape of my life. Although I admit that I am happy not to have the irritation of a menstrual cycle, I strangely feel a little less like a woman now. I know that's not true but I still feel that way. My doctor has told me that my FSH is low to non-existant and this has triggered my early menopause. She also told me that it has been so long that this process is now irreversible. Is she correct that I can never have a child now?:( Are there any other things that I need to watch out for in menopause. Please advise my mother is only just starting to go through menopause and my grandmother died years ago. Please help me. I'm a little over my head here and I'm going through something that I shouldn't have gone through for another 30 years or so.
    jellyfishattack Posts: 6, Reputation: 4

Feb 25, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Hi,

I went through chemical menopause three times for varying periods. The first time I was 18. I think you have to do whatever you can to prevent what every menopausal woman is at increased risk for: osteoporosis, heart disease, high LDL, weight gain, depression, and vaginal dryness are the ones I can think of. You should periodically get your bone density and cholesterol levels determined as well as your bp. Problems can be corrected or improved with drugs and exercise. I really think you need to see a gynecologist or internist who specializes in women's endocrinology. If you live near Toronto I can suggest one good doctor.

What has your doctor said about hormone replacement? You can even take that and avoid getting a period. Was hormone replacement judged a relapse risk? I don't know about pregnancy but remember that women in their mid to late sixties have become mothers after IVF recently, and they were certainly menopausal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The menopause [ 2 Answers ]

My wife seems to be going through the menopause. We are both 49 next month. To help with the change in wife, we have changed diet to a lot of fresh home cooked food, daily walking and cutting out alcohol. Are there are better ways to cope with the menopause, a lot of the time she seems...

Menopause? [ 5 Answers ]

I am pretty sure I'm in the beginning stages of menopause. I'm 41 and have been having irregular periods for about 4 years. I experience night sweats on and off. My periods can be extremely painful when they run the normal amount of days, but I figure it's because I get a lot of clots coming...

Any treatments for Osteo- arthritis? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my mother has recently been diagnosed with Osteo- arthritis. Is something the doctors say she will live with for the rest of her life its just about adapting to the pain. I was wondering if anyone can suggest treatments. Phsio and chiropractor seems out of the question according to most...

Hmm... 24 menopause? [ 3 Answers ]

A lot lately I have been having hotflashes and even night sweats but I'm only 24. I didn't have a period for almost 6 months still I started talking birthcontrol, which I did start my period. But it seems like hot flashes and night sweats happen a lot more now. I am over weight and I do take...

View more questions Search