Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sder Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
    Minor name change
    I would like to change my daughter's last name to mine. She is 10 years old and currently has her bio dad's name. He's had no contact, nor attempted any, since she turned a year old except for paying child support, and he hasn't paid that since August.

She wants to have the same name as myself, my older son, and my younger daughter. What are the chances a judge would let that go through without bio dad's consent? I ask this because when we were together he ended up signing away his rights to his first child, and she was adopted by his ex's husband, but went to the first hearing, not because he really wanted to go but because his family pushed him to attend and say that he didn't want her adopted. I worry that the same thing will happen here and the judge will deny the name change.

Also, how should I word the paperwork? Or should I just hire an attorney? I don't want to do something wrong and have it denied for something like that either.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sder View Post
    Also, how should I word the paperwork? Or should I just hire an attorney? I don't want to do something wrong and have it denied for something like that either.
    Without being familiar with the paperwork in whichever state or country you are in, it would be difficult or impossible for any of us to say. So yes, I suggest you hire an attorney.
    sder Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
    I'm in Ohio. I figured I should probably just do that, thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Last Name change for a Minor [ 14 Answers ]

My daughter has her father's last name. As you have probably read in my previous posts, he has not been in my daughter's life since she was born and has never paid me child support or attempted to become drug free to be able to be a part of her life. She is now four years old. She will be starting...

Name Change of Minor [ 11 Answers ]

What do I need to do to change the name of a minor in the State of Georgia. The child's name has already been changed once by her mother from the name on the birth certificate to another name. Do now believe the child was adopted prior to this name change. Since it has already been changed once,...

Minor Name Change/Birth Certificate Change [ 2 Answers ]

15 year old minor, born in Marion County, Indianapolis, IN, living in WI with his dad, mom in FL--with joint custody, would like to change his name to his dad's and has both parents consent. Does this have to be filed in IN? Are there forms that the parents can fill out and file without the...

View more questions Search