Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bubbles2222345 Posts: 138, Reputation: 0

May 16, 2012, 04:19 AM
    Part time worker do I get paid if I am signed off on sick leave
    I am a part time worker and would like to know legally do I have to be paid if I have to take time off for sickness for more than a week? I do not want to lose my job.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 16, 2012, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles2222345 View Post
    I am a part time worker and would like to know legally do i have to be paid if i have to take time off for sickness for more than a week?. I do not want to lose my job.
    Probibly no... if it's a small employer they don't have to give you sick leave... if you are part time you aren't going to have the same sick leave as someone who works full time if they do offer it... and if you take more time off than you have sick leave than you are given or have accrued... then yes they can terminate you.

I've been at my job for approaching 20 years... if I took three unpaid days (because I had no sick leave or vacation left) and even though I am in a Union... I could be fired for that alone.

Also keep in mind... as a part time worker, you are most likely an AT-WILL employee... and they don't even need a reason to terminate you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2012, 04:47 AM
    Part timers rarely get benefits like sick leave or STD. Part timers generally only get paid for the time they clock in. You would need to check company policy, but it is rare.

If you have to take some extended time off, you need to clear it with your boss.

May 18, 2012, 05:32 AM
    I think I asked this in the wrong way. I meant if I am signed off by a doctor with a signed document saying I need to take time off because I cannot work as if I have a medical condition that needs surgery or treatment, surely they cannot fire me?? I might need an operation? Or I might break a leg? I cannot work then can I? What do I do in these circumstances then? My friend had an operation she does the same job as me and had to bring a sick certificate in each week or so, in all she had six weeks off?? I need to know the correct information in case I get really sick and have to be off. Surely they cannot sack me?. Perhaps you mistook what I meant. Could anyone advise again please. Thanks.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 05:35 AM
    No... that does NOT change the circumstances at all. They still have the right to get rid of you for almost any reason at all.

SO get over it... and put your resumes out to find a new job elsewhere... you aren't getting that one back. And collect your unemployment benefits until then.

Because #1. If they are that quick to get rid of people its not that great of a place to be...

And/or #2. They weren't as impressed with your performance as you thought they were...

In either case... there are better places to be.

May 18, 2012, 05:44 AM
    i cannot work as if i have a medical condition that needs surgery or treatment, surely they cannot fire me??.
    First, this is a matter of company policy and local law. So without knowing the company policy or where you are located its hard to answer. But usually part time workers have little or no protection. On the other hand, if you have a co-worker where they extended her job while incapacitated, there is precedence so maybe there is company policy. You would have to check with your HR dept about that.

May 18, 2012, 05:46 AM
    Have you got any other information on this subject Scott? I cannot understand in the circumstances I have described above why my friend got paid then? How come? Im being told I won't get paid if I have a longer term illness or I require surgery? Thank you.

May 18, 2012, 05:47 AM
    Just read your response Scott thanks.

May 18, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Have you got any other information on this subject Scott?, i cannot understand in the circumstances i have described above why my friend got paid then?. How come?. Im being told i wont get paid if i have a longer term illness or i require surgery?. Thank you.
    Did you friend get paid or just not fired? These are two very different things. Again, P/T workers rarely get benefits like paid time off. But your company policy may be different. Was she hurt on the job? That could be a factor as well.

There is also the possibility that she is such an exceptional worker, her bosses didn't want to lose her so covered for her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2012, 05:55 AM
    While some countries ( did not say where) have different workers law, in the US, it is often the company you work for and their work rules, Some will have specific "leave" or time off rules, for that, often you have to work there for 3 months or 6 months or even a year to qualify for some. Others require you to use vacation time for illness if you take off.

The issue with part time people, they almost never get any benefits, like vacation pay, sick pay, and others.

So only your HR department for where you work will know the answer to your question.

Normally if you are a good worker and will not be gone too long, they may either hold a position or rehire you when you return.

May 18, 2012, 06:01 AM
    Thank you both for your answers. My friend had time off for an operation, had to give some sort of sick note or signed off note from somewhere presumably her doctor and she got money. Maybe it was not the company who paid her but she had to provide certificates? They mentioned you have so many weeks or months before they stop paying you. I heard my boss murmuring about someone else in this vein the other day.

May 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Bottom line; talk to HR and find out what the sick leave policy is for part timers.

May 19, 2012, 05:12 AM
    Thank you Everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Salary worker docked for missed time, but not paid overtime [ 5 Answers ]

We just had a corporate company take over the dental office I work for. I was given the position of manager with a salary. They gave me an hourly wage increase to adjust for the overtime and bonus we were losing. I have over 30 hours of overtime not paid in the past 4 weeks. When I took 2 days...

Can an H1B worker take an unpaid leave of absence without getting out of status? [ 2 Answers ]

1) Can a person on H1B choose take an unpaid leave of absence without falling out of status? If yes, what are the conditions for taking such leave? 2) I have heard that maternity/family/sickness are qualified reasons. Is taking LOA also viable to take to look for a new job? 3) Is the length...

Tip paid to hourly worker [ 1 Answers ]

Hourly paid food runner and busser are also receiving tip from other servers. Are those busser and food runner also elegible for the minimum wage increase?

Live part-time NYC and work full-time and live part-timein Long Island am I NYC resi [ 1 Answers ]

For all of 2007, I lived and worked in Suffolk County four days per week, and I lived in the Bronx three days per week (not working during those three days). My employer generated my w-2 form with non-resident status based on my working and living in Suffolk County for my emploment. My question is,...

View more questions Search