Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BOB1347 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
    Dr.bill hair test arm pit
    Dr. Bill, I took my hair drug test today. They took maybe an inch from my armpit hair. I last smoked once mid January and once end of February. Very Rare smoker, smoked maybe 4 times my whole life. What do you think my chances are?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
    Probably better than if head hair was used. Hair is a very poor medium for testing for THC and metabolites. It takes pretty substantial use to test positive in hair.

While axillary (arm pit) hair is thicker and darker (influencing some drugs) those characteristics are of little value in testing for cannabis use. THC & particularly THC-COOH incorporate into hair in very low quantity requiring frequent and prolonged use for detection.

Axillary hair provides a longer detection period but with THC it is quantity that is the determining factor.

In your case it is the amount and infrequent use that is the savior not when last used.

Why was axillary chosen rather than head?

May 15, 2012, 08:54 PM
    I cut my hair a week before they told me about the test,they told me I was going to take one two weeks ago. It had not grown too a long enough length. They went directly to the armpit hair. Would September/October, only one smoke each month have any bearing on this recent test?
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1347 View Post
    I cut my hair a week before they told me about the test,they told me i was going to take one two weeks ago. It had not grown too a long enough length. They went directly to the armpit hair. Would September/October, only one smoke each month have any bearing on this recent test?
    Should not. In relation to head hair a general rule is twice weekly or more, but that varies. Hair testing for cannabis only detects heavy daily use in about 65% of cases. The folks paying for and relying on hair testing for THC (more expensive than urine) aren't spending their money wisely.

Don't mean to say that hair testing is ineffective in all cases. It works well for some drugs, cocaine in particular, opiates, but not cannabis.

May 16, 2012, 04:06 PM
    You mentioned previously that it was better that they took my auxiliary hair rather than my head hair. Why is that?
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2012, 04:17 PM
    The incorporation rate for THC/COOH is even lower than head hair. But not much research on the subject.

Also, there is not the opportunity for external contamination that plagues head hair via sebaceous and sweat glands.

May 16, 2012, 08:19 PM
    Does exercising help the cause of getting the toxins out of the hair or no?
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2012, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1347 View Post
    Does exercising help the cause of getting the toxins out of the hair or no?
    Not at all.

May 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Not at all.
    Many people have said that arm hair holds a longer detection period, because of the slow growth rate. But like you have stated before it would only seem to hold for a heavy smoker. What would you define a person who smokes maybe once every two months or less? And what are their chances for passing a hair test, if taken from auxiliary hair?
    TAnner31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
    I smoked maybe a month and a half ago is and last Friday is there a chance I can pass a hair test when they took hair from my pits
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TAnner31 View Post
    I smoked maybe a month and a half ago is and last Friday is there a chance I can pass a hair test when they took hair from my pits
    The question isn't the time from last time smoked, in most cases, rather how much and how frequently you smoked prior to that last use.

The difference between terminal and axillary (arm pit) hair is growth rate. The drug incorporation (absorption) is nearly equivalent to scalp. So, once again, it is whether the frequency and amount smoked was sufficient to incorporate into hair.
    Didymus23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2012, 09:07 AM
    I have been smoke free for a year and a half. I gave an arm hair sample. Will I test positive for marijauna?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dr. Bill hair test [ 10 Answers ]

Dr. BIll, have a hair test within the next week, on the day of the hair test it will be 81 days since I smoked, just 3 hits within the 90 day period. Very infrequent smoker, maybe 6 times my entire life. What do you think the out come will be?

Lump under throat,jaw and arm pit [ 1 Answers ]

I believe I have a cold sore on my lip but it doesn't hurt at all. Now, I have a lump under my chin, more closer to my throat, it has a very light tender pain to it, it feels kind of like a in ground big pimple. Last year I also got a lump, but that time it was under my left side of the jaw. I...

Can anyone tell me which test is more accurate:a scalp hair test or a body hair test? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me which test is more accurate: a scalp hair test or a body hair test. We have 2 test that were taken on the SAME day & 1 shows positive for methamphetamine and 1 shows negative. It should show negative! We are at a loss as to how a test that is so accurate has 2 different...

Sore and movable lump under arm pit [ 1 Answers ]

I believe I have an infected Lymphnode under my arm pit. Would heat help to hurry along the healing. I assume it is a lymphnode because it is movable and very sore (especially to the touch). Any advice? (I'm sorry if I spelled Lymphnode incorrectly)

View more questions Search