Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kathiekp Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Rebuilding Kohler kitchen one handled faucet (forte) - question
    Because of leaking, I ordered a replacement valve and rings from Kohler in order to rebuild my faucet (Forte, one handled). I got the oval piece off, used an Allen wrench to loosen the handle's set screw and removed the handle, then unscrewed the bonnet, unscrewed the retaining ring on the valve and removed the valve (which is falling apart), then had trouble sliding the faucet unit up and off (seemed to catch or be stuck on something) but found a guy to help me get it off (upper body strength is great! ). I thought it might be mineral deposits making the faucet hard to pull off but there aren't any. When I was removing the old rings I felt something metal and rough on the back of the unit that the rings fit onto. I put a mirror behind the faucet to look at it. It's tricky because it's close to the back splash. There is some round metal structure with some little round white plastic thing in the middle. The edges of the metal are REALLY rough. What is that round structure sticking out on the back and is it supposed to be all rough like that?? I can't find any explanation anywhere. I'm wondering if I should try to sand or smooth the jagged edges on that round thing.
    kathiekp Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kathiekp View Post
    Because of leaking, I ordered a replacement valve and rings from Kohler in order to rebuild my faucet (Forte, one handled). I got the oval piece off, used an Allen wrench to loosen the handle's set screw and removed the handle, then unscrewed the bonnet, unscrewed the retaining ring on the valve and removed the valve (which is falling apart), then had trouble sliding the faucet unit up and off (seemed to catch or be stuck on something) but found a guy to help me get it off (upper body strength is great!!). I thought it might be mineral deposits making the faucet hard to pull off but there aren't any. When I was removing the old rings I felt something metal and rough on the back of the unit that the rings fit onto. I put a mirror behind the faucet to look at it. It's tricky because it's close to the back splash. There is some round metal structure with some little round white plastic thing in the middle. The edges of the metal are REALLY rough. What is that round structure sticking out on the back and is it supposed to be all rough like that??? I can't find any explanation anywhere. I'm wondering if I should try to sand or smooth the jagged edges on that round thing.
    I figured it out. It is 75878 -- Diverter Assembly which I guess diverts water to the side hand spray gadget. I don't know how it works but that is what it is. In the attachment it is the black circle thing with the white plastic in the middle.

I still can't figure out how to pull off the spout assembly when it is sticking and not lifting right off. It's supposed to slide right off.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 1853_Replacing Seal Kit.pdf (340.3 KB, 317 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kohler kitchen faucet [ 6 Answers ]

Cold water side is not working suddenly. All water is on.

Kohler Kitchen Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kohler single handle with sprayer, kitchen faucet. The hot water is just a small drizzle. I called and they sent out a spacer assembly. That did not solve the problem, in fact there was now NO hot water. Called again and they sent out new hoses and the brass connector at the handle end,...

Kohler kitchen faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kohler kitchen faucet, model K-10412, I think. Because of leaks I am trying to replace the o-rings for the spout. Everything I have seen says that the spout should just lift off after the bonnet nut is removed. Mine doesn't. It moves about 1/4 inch and won't move any further. Can you help

Kohler Forte faucet is loose, what tool do I use to tighten it? [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know how to tighten my Kohler forte faucet from underneath. It is loose at the base where it connects to the granite countertop. What is " the slender tool like a long socket" called?( someone else described that for Kohler instead of a basin wrench, but that doesn't help me find the...

Delay in water at single handled kitchen faucet [ 3 Answers ]

When we turn on the single handled kitchen faucet no water comes out initially. It doesn't seem to matter what position the handle is in. Repeating the process will turn the water on immediately sometimes, but not always.

View more questions Search