Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcmoss820 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 04:43 PM
    Landline Troubles
    Hello! I've been a Verizon High-Speed Internet Customer for several years now and up until recently I subscribed to their Dry-Loop-Only Internet service. Thanks to my cell phone, I have never needed landline telephone service.

Circumstances with my employer have recently required that I subscribe to a very basic, local-only landline service. I called Verizon, and they quickly added the service to my account and scheduled it to begin yesterday, May 14. I connected a telephone to a phone jack in my home and heard no dial tone whatsoever. I then remembered that when I had moved into my apartment I could only get a DSL connection on one phone jack (the house I live in is pretty old, split into four apartments) so I proceeded to disconnect the internet jack to test my phone line... no dial tone there either! Calling the landline telephone number from my cell phone led to a busy signal.

After spending several hours on my cell phone with Verizon's technical support hearing that the service was working just fine on their end, they suggested that I find the grey box attached to the outside of my home labeled "customer" and plug a phone in there. I have no such box anywhere on the outside of my home or in the basement and I looked VERY thoroughly. Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated over what should be just a simple phone line.

Last night, I made another attempt at troubleshooting, which brings me to the current symptoms:
    -Calling the landline number from my cell phone does ring now, but the telephone I have connected doesn't ring or actually receive a call

-As soon as you pick up the landline telephone it starts to ring as though it's dialing out. After a couple of rings, "Your call cannot be completed as dialed" plays

Verizon suggested they could send a technician to my home to "make sure I connected everything properly," but this is a huge inconvenience for me. They want to come inside of my home sometime between 8am and 5pm on a weekday. I can honestly say there will not be a day when I'm home on a weekday for that entire timeframe until Christmas. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm small-electrical savvy and I'm not afraid to do some rewiring if need be. I just want to fix this without having to deal with a technician doing something I could have most likely taken care of myself.

Any help is appreciated!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
    Have you tried a different phone? Also did they install a dsl filter when they set you up for dsl ?
    marcmoss820 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Have you tried a different phone? Also did they install a dsl filter when they set you up for dsl ?
    I've tried two phones, one of which I bought brand new today. And there is a DSL filter on the phone line, and of course no DSL filter on the internet line.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 16, 2012, 05:21 AM
    Do you know if when they added landline, if they combined with the same pair as your DSL?
    If a Phone line rings busy, it is shorted, phone off hook, or load on the line.
    If it rings and rings, a phone is hung up and ringer off, or the line is cut or open.
    If you have a Meter, you could look for 48 volts DC, if it just rings and rings, and look for about 6-9 volts DC.
    If it is ringing look for about 90 volts AC.
    Call your phone and look for the Ringing voltage start at the first connection from Telco.

I recently saw Verizon with Wireless Landline for about $10 a month?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landline phone repairs? [ 5 Answers ]

The answering part of the phone is very muffled on an at&t phone. Is there a way to repair that?

Internet without landline [ 4 Answers ]

Can I have internet without landline?

History of landline [ 3 Answers ]

What is the brief history of landline?

Landline phones and microfilters [ 11 Answers ]

Please can anyone hekp? I recently bought a number of microfilters(the straight plug in type without lead) but after plugging the landlines in the phones do not ring. All phones ring plugged directly in without microfilters. Any help appreciated. itcac

Tapped landline [ 24 Answers ]

OK only real genuine people respond please no time for joksters. Somehow my conversations are being heard on my landline phone. All my voicemail is being recorded also. I have had the phone company out, but they say the line is all right, really don't know if they are checking for tap or not. ...

View more questions Search