Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

May 15, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Job Dillemma
    Currently I'm working as a temp, but have interviewed for the position to be permanent. I'm in the top 3 candidates but waiting to see if the staffing agency will waive the fee. If not, I will not be hired because the conversion fee is not budgeted for.

About a month ago I interviewed for a position at a candy distribution company. Its small, family owned and has been in business for a long time. I didn't think I would get a call back, but I did and was eventually offered the position. I have been very up front about giving a 2 week notice, and had a meeting with the candy company last night to discuss salary. I've gotten a weird vibe/gut feeling every time I go there or talk to them.

They want me to start this week, have stated that I should not give notice to the agency and the company because I'm just a temp, and also because they are leaving for 2 weeks at the end of may for a personal trip, and one of the office gals is pregnant and is going to be on bed rest.

I don't know if I just have this bad gut feeling or what, but every time I call or go there, the girls in the office are rude and I just get a feeling in the pit of my stomach. Its 68 miles roundtrip everyday (with traffic is about 1.5 hours each way), I don't know if it offers benefits.

The other position is federally funded, I've been here for about 6 weeks, I know the job, it has endless advancement opportunities, but if the fee is not waived I won't even be considered for the position.

I don't want to lose out on a permanent job (I've been a temp for so long) but I want to be happy with a company.

I need help. I hate confrontation and I don't know exactly what to say to the candy co or if I should just take that position.

Help!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
    Federally funded positions are not as solid as they used to be. Don't know how the candy business is faring.

Unless you could afford to pay the fee yourself (if that could even be done), that and other contingencies make it appear that you don't have enough facts to make a complete decision.

Seems like a 1,2, 3 decsion to me.
    1. Stall the candy company by some means even consider telling them what your dilemma is. The way they react may enter into your decision of whether you want to work for them. Are they rushing you because they want you to cover something in their absence. Could you satisfy them with some part-time looking out or something while the other job decisions get made?
    2.Find out if the fee will be waived.
    3.Find out if you are selected.

Not a very good answer-- I know.

Just two cliche's to add:
    Honesty is the best policy.
    First impressions are often (in my experience) 100% wrong as far as the bad vibes go. Rudeness is something we have to deal with just about everywhere anymore.
    And some advice a high level boss gave me once -"Do what feels good" which is not a very scientific method but it worked extremely well in my case at the time.
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

May 15, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Its not just my first impression, my feelings are getting increasingly worse as I deal with the company. I don't have the respect for them like I did at first with them being so pushy to get me to not give a 2 week notice. I received word that the fee will be waived, so that's a load off there.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 12:53 PM
    Understand the clarification on first impression vs multiple.

Sounds like two steps now.
    1. Get selected.
    2. Take the job.

I worked with a state government for about 35 yrs and we used a lot of temp. consultant employees, and many of them made the transition to permanent employee. Can't think of one that ever expressed regret to me and it wasn't unusual for them to even suffer a paycut in the process but it wasn't in this kind of an economy.
    Best wishes but I think you are going about making this decision in the proper way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dapple Doxie Dillemma [ 2 Answers ]

Our 7 year old long-haired dapple doxie recently developed several health issues. The first one we noticed was his yelping in pain whenever we touched him, when he barked, or when the other doxies wanted to play. This sounds like a "disc" related injury, but other things were going on as well. ...

Design a job description and job spesification for a hypothetical job [ 1 Answers ]

ABC company has a problem of motivation among their factory floor workers.the management decide to increase the amount of task to be performed by some employees while providing more authority to some of the employees to performe duties.Along with these changes another set of empoloyees werw give an...

Similarities between job analysis,job description and job specification? [ 2 Answers ]

Similarities between job analysis,job description and job specification?

Love/like dillemma [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I need help on this guy I really like. It seems silly but there's two things that are really annoying me. First of all he has a girlfriend, and secondly I have a really negative confidence problem so I can't be as lively or as chatty as I want to be, or as I usually am around my friends. We've...

View more questions Search