Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrush22 Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

May 15, 2012, 07:16 AM
    Birth Control pill
    So I am sixteen and I'm about to go on the pill soon.
    And I have a couple of questions.
    Does the pill make you gain weight?
    What are the side effects for taking the pill?
    Even if I'm on the pill can I still for preggies?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 15, 2012, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lrush22 View Post
    does the pill make you gain weight?
    It makes some women gain weight, but not all.

what are the side effects for taking the pill?
    Some women gain weight, others get acne while it can clear up acne for some gals. Other symptoms can be nausea, spotting between periods, lighter periods and/or mood changes.

even if im on the pill can i still for preggies?
    If you mean can you still get pregnant, the answer is yes. The pill is most effective if taken the same time every day, however it is still not always 100% effective. I, for one, got pregnant not once, but twice, while using the pill 100% as prescribed AND using a condom.

In the end, if you are not prepared to be a mother abstain from sex.
    MeganMoo13 Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

May 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
    Em I started like a couple a months ago, starting my third month tomorrow... I may have gained a wee bit of weight but that's from an increased apitite, its calming down now and its not a big deal really, but its not like I don't know why..
    I actually bled for the first month, its called break through bleeding, but I think I was unlucky... I'm not sure... my boobs have grown a bit which is gooood!
    You can still get pregnany if its not used correctly but you should be okay if it is, plus you can always have him wear a condom and be doubly protected (I don't.. )
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 17, 2012, 05:41 PM
    You can still get pregnany if its not used correctly but you should be okay if it is, plus you can always have him wear a condom and be doubly protected (I don't.. )
    Wrong! Even if used correctly, and using a condom, pregnancy (not pregnany) is still possible. If you think you're 100% protected, you're fooling yourself.

You could use 3 different forms of birth control, heck, you could use every birth control method on the market, correctly, and still become pregnant.

There is no such thing as safe sex. There is safer sex, and being on the pill does make you safer than unprotected sex, but it's not a sure thing. It would be the same as saying "I have a 6 shooter gun fully loaded, can I pull the trigger (unprotected sex)", and saying "I have a 6 shooter gun with 2 bullets, can I pull the trigger (sex with birth control)". If you don't want to risk those 2 bullets in a 6 shooter, the only way to avoid it is to avoid sex.

Bottom line, if you're having sex, you have to be prepared for parenthood. If you're not ready to be a parent, then you're not ready for sex.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2012, 07:37 PM
    Sorry, kids like Megan will be the one on here in a few months asking about mssing their period, they are obviously other young teens or younger with no idea.

Birth control pills are not 100 percent effective, 1000's of people get pregnant each month using it. Using it and a condom are better but pregnancy can still happen even using both.

I am sorry but it shows why there are so many teen pregnancy, too many just think they are safe.

May 19, 2012, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Sorry, kids like Megan will be the one on here in a few months asking about mssing their period, they are obviously other young teens or younger with no idea.

Birth control pills are not 100 percent effective, 1000's of people get pregnant each month using it. Using it and a condom are better but pregnancy can still happen even using both.

I am sorry but it shows why there are so many teen pregnancy, too many just think they are safe.
    I was just trying to help! Geez! I wasn't saying she was 100% protected, I was just telling her what I knew... I am not a younger teen either, I'm 18, granted still a teenager, but I'm not too young for sex, I didn't have sex at a yong age either! I use the contraception, therefore I DO have a clue, thank you... The failure rate of the combination pill is 0.2%, therefore its 99.8% effective! I know what I am talking about, I interegated the doctor before I decided to go on it. Yes we have decided not to use a condom, I don't plan on getting pregnant, but if it happens we would both be prepared to face our responsibilties... I'm sorry for rambling but I just don't like how you assume something about me, that I'm an idiot, that's not right of you.
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MeganMoo13 View Post
    I was just trying to help! Geez! I wasnt saying she was 100% protected, i was just telling her what i knew... I am not a younger teen either, I'm 18, granted still a teenager, but I'm not too young for sex, I didnt have sex at a yong age either! I use the contraception, therefore I DO have a clue, thank you... The failure rate of the combination pill is 0.2%, therefore its 99.8% effective! I know what I am talking about, I interegated the doctor before i decided to go on it. Yes we have decided not to use a condom, i dont plan on getting pregnant, but if it happens we would both be prepared to face our responsibilties... I'm sorry for rambling but I just dont like how you assume something about me, that i'm an idiot, thats not right of you.
    Megan, if someone gave you a loaded gun and told you that you only had a 99.8% of getting killed if you put it to your head and fired, would you do it?

Also, you should know that that 99.8% if based on people using the pill correctly. Around 80% of the people on the pill, don't use it correctly. Just fyi.

If I had a dime for every person that I knew personally that was on the pill, and got pregnant, I'd be rich.

I have a friend that has PCOD, one ovary, was on the pill and used a condom, plus, her doctor told her she could never have kids, and she got pregnant. If it can happen to her, it can happen to you and the OP.

We're not against birth control. Far from it. But we are against anyone stating that there's no way you can get pregnant while using birth control, because that simply isn't true.

In other words, if you're having sex, even if you're using the pill, a condom, and another form or all forms of birth control, pregnancy is possible. The only method of birth control that's 100% effective is abstinence. And before you tell me that we just don't understand. I had sex as a teen. I get it. I got lucky. You may not. It really depends on how much you're willing to risk, and saying that you can deal with an unwanted pregnancy at 18, is laughable. I have never met an 18 year old that's physically, emotionally, and financially ready to have a child. You're not nearly as mature or worldly as you think you are. You are still a child in many ways, and hopefully you won't have to grow up the hard way because you don't want to hear that you're wrong.

Good luck.
    Tiffany2012 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
    so i am sixteen and im about to go on the pill soon.
    and i have a couple of questions.
    does the pill make you gain weight?
    what are the side effects for taking the pill?
    even if im on the pill can i still for preggies?
    The pill shouldn't cause you to gain weight. You could read the side effects list of pills. Some females do notice they have to go to toilet more often for 2-3 maximum. The chances of getting pregnant are very unlikely. I heard when you get very ill it can have an effect of the pill and cause it not to work so you can get pregnant but the chances are quite small. Still suggest to use condom
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany2012 View Post
    The pill shouldn't cause you to gain weight. You could read the side effects list of pills. Some females do notice they have to go to toilet more often for 2-3 maximum. The chances of getting pregnant are very unlikely. I heard when you get very ill it can have an effect of the pill and cause it not to work so you can get pregnant but the chances are quite small. Still suggest to use condom
    Actually, the chances of getting pregnant on the pill are not as small as people think. Even with a condom as added protection, pregnancy is possible. If used correctly most birth control pills are over 95% effective. Sadly, the majority of people don't use them correctly, and even those that do, can still become pregnant.

I always laugh when I hear someone say "Chances are small that you'll get pregnant while on the pill". I said it before, and I have to say it again. If someone put a gun to your head and said "chances are small that when I pull the trigger you'll die", would you do it? I know I wouldn't.

The bottom line is this. If you're sexually active, even using birth control, you could still become pregnant. If you're not ready to be a parent, then you're not ready for sex. Like it or not, those are the facts.

May 19, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Megan, if someone gave you a loaded gun and told you that you only had a 99.8% of getting killed if you put it to your head and fired, would you do it?
    I totally understand that, but this isn't life or death! Pregnancy is not ideal right now but if that did happen, my boyfriend and I would have the love and resources to look after the child. I use the pill as correctly as I can, same time every day etc. No contraception is effective, and the pill is our method of choice. A condom has a higher failure rate yet people seem to think only condoms are more acceptable.

May 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany2012 View Post
    The chances of getting pregnant are very unlikely. I heard when you get very ill it can have an effect of the pill and cause it not to work so you can get pregnant but the chances are quite small. Still suggest to use condom
    I know if your on antibiotics then the pill is not effective.
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MeganMoo13 View Post
    I totally understand that, but this isnt life or death! Pregnancy is not ideal right now but if that did happen, my boyfriend and i would have the love and resources to look after the child. I use the pill as correctly as i can, same time every day ect. No contraception is effective, and the pill is our method of choice. A condom has a higher failure rate yet people seem to think only condoms are more acceptable.
    Megan, I don't want to rain on your parade, and I certainly won't suggest that at 18 you haven't found the guy you'll be with for life. It does happen, but it's rare. Adding a baby to the mix will not strengthen your relationship, it will tear it apart, and at 18, most couples can't withstand the stress. So, to say that if you got pregnant, you'd deal with it. Well, I hate to say this, but, if you do get pregnant, be prepared to be dealing with it on your own, as a single mom, because statistically, your boyfriend won't be in the picture long term. That's the reality for the majority of teens that get pregnant.

No one said that condoms are more acceptable. In fact, if you read all the posts, you'll see that everyone suggested the pill and a condom. But even that combo isn't 100% effective, and pregnancy can, and does happen, every single day.

The main reason that we recommend the pill and a condom, is that a condom does one main thing that the pill does not, and that's to help prevent STD's.

I hope that the pill works for you. I do commend you for being responsible enough to use birth control. I just don't want any young person to think that just because they're on the pill, or using a condom, means they won't get pregnant, because it's simply not true. It can happen, and happens all the time.

May 20, 2012, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Megan, I don't want to rain on your parade, and I certainly won't suggest that at 18 you haven't found the guy you'll be with for life. It does happen, but it's rare...
    I agree with you, I know its not 100%, I just never said it was. And I know a child wouldn't make my life easier, I didn't say it would, but I just meant that we both would be able to love and support it. And for STD's, we are the only ones we have slept with so that isn't an issue, I would definetaly use one with a partner that has had sex previously. I don't mean to seem like I am attacking you, but I hate when people treat me like I am irresponsible as, despite what people my age were doing, I never did anything past kissing with a guy that I wasn't in love with, and even at that, I made sure I definitely felt this way with my current boyfriend before I did anything. Then, I made sure I was on the pill before any sex happened.
    I don't know what your views on sex are, whether its no sex before marriage, or before you want a child, whatever... And I respect people like that but I think we both agree that it should be between two people that love each other, and it's a form of expressing your love.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Red color pill reached but no period - Birth control Pill [ 11 Answers ]

Hi All, I am on Birth Control Pills (Lutera- 28 pack one) since past 4-5 months. My periods start when I reach the 4th week, i.e when the red color pills start. According to this, my red color pill dosage started yesterday (Sunday) but my periods did not. Am I worrying too much since its been...

Birth control pill and pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

I was on birth control pills and my period ended on Saturday. I forgot to take the pills on Thursday and Friday, and I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on Friday, and I am not off the pills, what is the chance of me getting pregnant?

Birth control pill [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe to take birth control pills for only few days to change you're cycle? I have done it before in the last 3 years only twice and it worked, is it safe though

Problems with birth control pill [ 2 Answers ]

I start taking the ortho tricycle pill, after one month I stop, didn't take the last 7 pills. Been 53 days since my last period... I'm not pregnant.. too two test. Negative.please advice

On birth control pill.. But could I be pregnant.. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm on the birth control pill, and I have been for 4 months now, and most of the time, I take it. If I forget it, I avoid having sex with my boyfriend.. But I missed a pill rcently, and had sex the next day, but my boyfriend didn't ejaculate inside of me.. It's been about 4 days now.. and I...

View more questions Search