Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Menopause - Hotflashes
    I am using soy, evening primrose & flaxseed, exercises to help curb hot flashes and night sweats. I want to add taking Dong Quai and Chaste Tea Berry. Can I take these while also using a natural progesterine cream or will they create a problem if I use them all together? Or is it OK?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 07:02 PM
    I don't know if our resident health expert is here tonight so please be patient. I am sure she will show up at some point within the next couple of days.

The only reason I am responding is because I am going through the same thing. However, I made myself a promise that I would not take ANYTHING if I could help it. Are you finding that what you are taking now is not doing the trick? I would be very leery about mixing too many things together. There is a book that was written by a female doctor that a lot of my friends absolutely swear by. I have to research it and get back to you because I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Until I do, one thing that I have found really helps with nightsweats is taking a shower at night before I go to bed. Just a quick one to get the days grime off me. It actually helps me a great deal. Just something for you to think about.

I will find the name of the book and get back to you.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Okay. I found it. It is called Wisdom of Menopause by Dr. Christiane Northrup. As I said, a number of my friends swear by it. So, if you get a chance, go to your local bookstore and take a look at it. I really think it will help you.

Feb 24, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Hi RudyPitbull
    Thanks for the book info. Oh yes I shower like crazy.
    I have been doing a lots of research as to what will help as I only want to deal with natural things I will never do HRT. I won't even touch Black Cohosh that everyone raves about because I have found info in recent studies that it can affect your liver. Soy is highly rated as is Flax seed and Evening primrose. I already had these in my daily diet for a few years now, and so have just increased them.

After reseaching it, I also started taking Promensil which is Red Clover another herb and it is natural. I take one in the AM at breakfast and one in the PM at dinner. I find since starting the Promensil this has made my night sweats very minimal and finally I am able to get a night's sleep. I keep the heat low and have a humidifier in my bedroom and a small fan on my night stand. It was terrible not being able to sleep at night then having to fight to stay awake at work.

I have read that the Donq Quai and Chaste tea berry are good in combo with the other herbs and that was my question. My doctor told me about the progesterone cream but I am a bit leary about that and was wondering if I should even consider it... if taking the herbs. (my posted question). The cream even for me is a last resort.

I just started all this about 3 1 /2 weeks ago. I was going nuts at first with the flashes and night sweats. Now the nightsweats are hardly there and the flashes have reduced some because of what I am taking but I am working toward even fewer flashes. I know nothing works overnight and some of these herbs take longer than others to start working but the natural healthy choices to this discomfort is what I am looking for.

There are also some breathing exercises you can do I found this:

Relaxation response exercise
    Sit in a comfortable, quiet place.
    As you breathe, keep your rib cage still. You will be lowering and raising your diaphragm to fill and empty your lungs.
    Inhale for 5 seconds, pushing your stomach muscles out.
    Exhale for 5 seconds, pulling your stomach muscles in and up.
    Repeat this cycle of breathing until you feel calm and relaxed or your time is up.
    To reduce stress, you can also use paced respiration for 1 to 2 minutes in the middle of a busy day. After several weeks of daily relaxation response exercise, women reportedly achieve a noticeable drop in hot flash intensity, as well as decreased tension, anxiety, and depression. For 10 to 20 minutes each day, take time to produce a relaxation response in your body and mind.

And I found this:
    To avoid hot flashes, try eating a salty snack right before going to bed. Also, a small carbohydrate snack such as fruit, fruit juice, or crackers will help keep blood sugar up and cortisol down as the night progresses.

Eat more legumes, beans. In addition to soy and tofu products, women can help combat hot flashes by eating more calcium-rich foods, magnesium-rich foods and foods rich in vitamin E -- like cold-pressed oils, green leafy vegetables, nuts and almonds, as well as plenty of mineral- and fiber-rich foods, like whole grains and fresh vegetables.

Don't you hate that we have to go through this?
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 07:57 PM
    LOL. I know! It is the price of being a woman I guess. I actually do all the things you suggest, except take herbal supplements and the salty stuff. The salt seems to make it worse for me for some reason. But, all in all, I am not really having such a difficult time of it except for the night sweats at one point. Maybe it's my attitude, I don't know. But, I am embracing this! I will be soooo glad when the periods end entirely. I have had nothing but problems with my menstrual cycle throughout my entire life and I think I will get up and dance on tables when they completely stop! I have told my friends I may throw myself a party. LOL.

By the way, Dr. Northrup is against the meds on this. That is why I suggested it to you. She does recommend some herbal replacements. One of my friends lives in NYC and was her patient. She was having such an awful time of it that she really needed the professional help. She was the first one to tell me about the book (the original printing) a few years ago. Since then, 4 other friends who don't know each other have each mentioned the book to me as a life saver. So, I think it is worthwhile for you to take a look at it and see if it might be something that could help. Good Luck Girlfriend! :)

Feb 24, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Thanks I'll check it out.

Feb 24, 2007, 08:20 PM
    RudyPitbull
    Here's a web site you may want to check out. More woemn like us

Menopause Message Boards, Menopause Forums and Menopause Blogs

Menopause, Menopause Symptoms, Menopause Treatments, Menopause Support
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Thank you citylover! That was very thoughtful of you. I will check them out. Every little bit helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The menopause [ 2 Answers ]

My wife seems to be going through the menopause. We are both 49 next month. To help with the change in wife, we have changed diet to a lot of fresh home cooked food, daily walking and cutting out alcohol. Are there are better ways to cope with the menopause, a lot of the time she seems...

Menopause? [ 5 Answers ]

I am pretty sure I'm in the beginning stages of menopause. I'm 41 and have been having irregular periods for about 4 years. I experience night sweats on and off. My periods can be extremely painful when they run the normal amount of days, but I figure it's because I get a lot of clots coming...

Is this the menopause starting [ 1 Answers ]

:( Hi all, is there anyone out there who has experienced this. I have skipped a period. No problem at first, wey hey have they finished. Can't be pregnant as I have been sterilized for 16 years, but breast tenderness and nausea worried me so I thought I would try a pregnancy test... negative as I...

Pre-Menopause: What to Say to Her [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in a stable relationship for the last 6 years, my girlfriend is 40, I'm 38. She appears to be entering a pre-menopausal state where her periods become irregular and she has erratic mood shifts and loss of sex drive. Naturally enough it is dominating her mind now, she fears losing her...

Early Menopause? [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me, I am 46yrs old, living in Spain, been having problems for 6months now with heavy periods, started in August last year, thought my insides were falling out! Big clots, this has now calmed down a lot, but periods now every 15 - 20 days, and much heavier. Have been to doctors...

View more questions Search