Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nestie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
    Computer crashes
    I have an emachinwe with the Windows Vista. I have had this computer for a few years. It is now crashing while I am online. I took the tower to Staples to have the free tune up they offer and the could not find anything wrong with the computer. I took it home and it still freezes and shut down while I am on the internet. I deleted the Verizon Office Suite also thinking that might be the problem. I added the Verizon Office Suite cause I thought there was a virus on my computer but it kept crashing. I do now know what else to do.
    camyyssa Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 04:52 AM
    There are some scenarios I can think of:
    - Make sure your computer is up to date with the windows updates. I switched from Win XP to Win 8, so you'll have to do a bit of googling to find out how it works on Vista.
    - Second idea is to re-install your windows, hoping that it's a software related problem. Backup any important data you might have on your computer, find the windows cd and the installation should be pretty straightforward.
    - Could it be that the hardware is letting you down? Computer freezing might mean your hard-disk is dying or your RAM is going down. Random shutting down means that it's probably overheating. In this case my advice is, again, backup any important data you have on your computer and think about buying a new one. Prices range from 250 Euro for a netbook upwards.

PS. Backing up your data is always good :D. Either put it on an external hard-drive, or if it's only a couple of Gb you can opt for online storage. There are a couple of free solutions for that, including Dropbox and the new Google Drive.
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

May 21, 2012, 05:44 AM
    Hi there

Does the PC freeze when you are online or when you open internet explorer?
    What internet connection do you use?

I suspect a browser addon or application clashing with the system.

If it is only when you open internet explorer, then just reset it by going to:
    Start - Control Panel - Internet Options
    Far right is the Advanced tab, click on it. Now below is the reset button.

If that doesn't work then disable startup programs.

Open the "Run dialogue" box. Windows key on keyboard + R button together.
    Type in - MSCONFIG

Or click Start and click on the search bar just above the start button and search for MSCONFIG

After opening it, go to the Startup Tab. Disable All. Restart and see if the problem persists.
    **Do not worry, you can enable them anytime by just opening msconfig again.

Hope this helps
    Grant

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox crashes [ 3 Answers ]

Using Firefox 3.0.13 and have been for quite some time. Not that nothing has ever crashed before, but this thing happening now is new as of the past couple of weeks. The browser just closes down and I get a message that it crashed, and it offers to allow me to go back to where I was before it...

Computer crashes [ 7 Answers ]

I received very accurate responses from PERITO on this problem but cannot answer because it says I don't have enough 'reputation' to do so. What does this mean? I really don't understand this at all. I've been an 'ask me' member for several months. Anyway, it sounds like excellent advice....

Computer crashes after installing drivers. [ 2 Answers ]

My computer crashes when ever I try to play games after installing a vga driver disc plus all its components plus the utilities on the disc that came with the motherboard. I think the reason is a virtual video capture device that keeps trying to install whenever I turn on the computer. Plus it...

Firefox Crashes! [ 14 Answers ]

Please help me, this has been going on for about 3 days now... Every time I try to start Mozilla I get an error message as follows: "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." And another message that is called "Mozilla Quality Feedback...

Crashes [ 3 Answers ]

Running XP Home. Running just fine until I shut down. When I boot up it will crash 2 or 3 times then come up just fine. Sometimes it runs Checkdisc, sometimes not. Then it runs just fine through re-starts and use, until I shut down--the scenario repeats. What is wrong and how can I fix it?...

View more questions Search