Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    destefanotx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2004, 07:04 PM
    Pecans in my toilet vent
    The vent on the roof for our toilets were never covered and we are having problems with pecans down inside of the vents. My husband has been trying to snake them out but they will not break down. What would be the best solution for this problem? :eek:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2004, 09:29 PM
    A squirrel rifle. How about a shop vac? You might need a custom wand small enough to fit down the vent and big enough to pick up a pecan. Duct tape makes anything fit together for a little while. We will see if Tom the plumber has a routine solution to this.

I have a screen over the chimney for my fire place. I once had a squirrel fall down it.

Dec 10, 2004, 12:20 AM
    Lol the squirrel rifle might be a good idea, I already got a squirrel dog :)
    I was thinking about a vacuum also. Thanks, I'll try this one out.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2004, 07:48 AM
    I have nuts in my vent
    They came to my door with religious tracs and now they're in my vents! HELP!! (Sorry, I just couldn'r resist) I have fished every thing
    Out of vents from dead birds and critters to a small revolver tossed down a vent by a burglar attempting to escape over a store front roof top. But this is the "nuttest" vent problem I've ever had. (Sorry again! But but the opportunities for one liners in this question just abound.)
    Give Labmans "shop vac solution" a shot. Duct tape a piece of PVC long enough to reach the base and attempt to pull them back up by vacume.
    Were this my call I would rent a Ridgid K-60 Sewer Machine from your local rent all. Make sure you get a large spade tip and a cutter blade tip in the size as the vent pipe.
    Now go up on the roof and, using the different cable tips, break up the pecans at the base of the vent. Put some muscle into forcing the cable throrgh the blockage. Run the cutter blade through enough to break the nuts into small pieces.
    Now take a garden hose and flush them out in the house main and from there out into the street.
    Before you leave the roof put screening over all your vents. And thank you for bringing a smile to these withered old chops answering the first question of the day. Cheers, Tom

Dec 10, 2004, 08:30 AM
    My husband is going to borrow a shop vac, if that doesn't do it, then we will try this sewer machine method. Our house is out in the country though and we have leech fields.

I am glad to have brought a smile to your face. :)
    It is funny now that I think about it, with 2 toilets not working and 6 people in the house... it wasn't too funny until I thought about jehovas witnesses in the vents hehe. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failed toilet vent inspection( Help!) [ 11 Answers ]

We have a newly constructed building(bathhouse) added to or home septic system.It has a shower stall,toilet ,sink,kitchen sink and hot water heater added on.Every thing passed inspection except the toilet(even the waste line to the septic passed).The inspector said its NOT holding pressure.It...

Is my cellar toilet vent OK? [ 1 Answers ]

A toilet in the basement drains to the floor with no vent in sight. There is a vertical "wet" vent about 15 feet away that drains (among other things) a third floor washing machine. It also vents out the attic roof. When the washer drains, there is gurgling and swirling in the cellar toilet...

Toilet Vent Location [ 1 Answers ]

How close to the toilet should the vent line be? I’m in the process of moving a toilet and am not sure if I need to extend the vent too. Currently, the vent line is about 6 inches from the toilet, and after I move the toilet it would be 2 feet. Thanks Scott

Toilet Vent [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a septic system at my cabin, there is a toilet in the bathroom that will need to be tied to this new septic system. The toilet has a 4" pipe that runs through the crawl space, under the footings and is stubbed outside the cabin. This pipe is a straight pipe with total of about 13'...

Max distance of vent to toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding two toilets (1.5 baths) to the ground fllor of my house (which is a concrete slab. The house is in NJ. What is the maximum distance the toilets (WC's?) can be from the vent line (I'm using 3" drains and 2" vents). Thanks Mike

View more questions Search