Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mima031 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 07:23 AM
    Minimum bike speed
    Martin is on his trail bike, approaching a creek bed that is 7 m wide. A ramp with an incline of 10 degrees has been built for daring people who try to jump the creek. Martin is traveling at his bike's maximum speed,40 km/h. (a) Should Martin attempt the jump or enphatically hit the brakes? (b) What is the minimum speed the bike must have to make his jump? (Assume equal elevations on either side of the creek)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2012, 07:35 AM
    Curious what results are, but jumped many bikes, I would say between 25 and 30 MPH. This is not a simple Physics question, as it likely won't figure in the ability to increase the distance by lifting on the bike at take off.
    I'm curious the correct answer.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
    When an object is tossed in the air at initial velocity V the time it takes to reach the apex of its arc is V/g, and the time it takes to fall back to earth is another V/g. Hence the total time in the air is 2V/g. Here the initial vertical velocity of the bike is 40 Km./hr times sin(10 degrees. So find the time the bike is in the air, then multiply that time by the horiziontal speed of the bike to find how far horizontally the bike travels while in the air.

Stratmando - while 40 Km/Hr is about 25 MPH and so may see "fast enough," the incline is only 10 degrees so the bike doesn't get much lift at all. If it was more like 20 degrees he'd have a better chance.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
    ebaines, I don't think this can be solved yet?
    An Important factor is how high is the ramp, 10 degrees is important, but the height of the ramp at the top is missing(which would also determine the length of the ramp)?
    Thanks.
    Expert

May 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
    Stratmando - it is assumed that the take-off point and landing point are at the same elevations. Yes, it can be solved using basic physics concepts (as long as we can ignore wind resistance).
    Uber Member

May 14, 2012, 06:25 PM
    I got it.
    Oh, The thing about this problem is when you are actually attempting this jump is, if you are feeling you are going slow, you can pull yourself and Bike/Motorcycle straight up at the end of the ramp, and get increased distance that I am not sure it could be figured.

He also Mentions hitting the brakes, When you are Jumping a Motorcycle at any good distance, your throttle AND Brakes can affect your Attitude, Land Real wheel wheel first/Smoothly.
    If you give a little throttle in the air(the front raises up/rear end lowers), and if you tap the brakes the front will come down.

The Rear wheel want to stay the same speed, but when touching brakes or throttle, it adjust your attitude, it will definitely help you.
    actuallyimcold Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 01:31 AM
    I got 50 km/h to get the bike to safe landing.
    Expert

May 15, 2012, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by actuallyimcold View Post
    I got 50 km/h to get the bike to safe landing.
    That's about right.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
    50 KPH equals about 31 MPH.
    Could still be done at 30, you could make up speed by pulling up.
    I didn't assume identical ramps as in Mountain Biking, Most Jumps, landing height is usually a lower height(not always).
    I am most trying to say, The Input a rider can make, can throw a formula off.
    spade18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
    ebaines: Can you show the computation on how you solve this problem? :D
    Expert

May 15, 2012, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spade18
    Can you show the computation
    As pointed out in post #3 the time in the air is

and the horizontal distance traveled during that time is

Combine these to get:

Now rearrange to solve for v.

May 16, 2012, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    As pointed out in post #3 the time in the air is

and the horizontal distance traveled during that time is

Combine these to get:

Now rearrange to solve for v.
    i used your formula and i got 0.39 s. It seemed unrealistic.
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
    i used your formula and i got 0.39 s. It seemed unrealistic.
    Yes - that's the time the bike is in the air. Remember that the ramp is only inclined at ten degrees, which is not very much at all. If you calculate how high the bike goes up in the air - at its highest point it's less than 0.2m off the ground!

May 16, 2012, 06:57 AM
    OK. Another question, where does you're the first formula derived from? :)
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 07:17 AM
    ok. another question, where does your the first formula derived from? :)

For an object launched vertically at speed , at the top of its arc its vertical locity is zero so , and the acceleration is equal to -g. The time to reach the highest point is therefore

After reaching the apex the object then starts to fall back to the ground, and the time it takes to do that is the same as the above. So total time in the air is

May 16, 2012, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post

For an object launched vertically at speed , at the top of its arc its vertical locity is zero so , and the acceleration is equal to -g. The time to reach the highest point is therefore

After reaching the apex the object then starts to fall back to the ground, and the time it takes to do that is the same as the above. So total time in the air is

now that's clearer. Thank you very much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suggest most comfort bike 4backpain a new bike,like cbz xtreme double disk [ 1 Answers ]

I'm ajay goyal from chd.I hv backpain and want to buy a most comfortable and safe bike in 70000,invested in cbz xtreme double disk.suggest any other or support detail.

Schwinn 3 Speed Bike [ 1 Answers ]

My Schwinn 3 speed bike has several problems that need fixed. First off, the gears are not in working order. When I pulled it out of a shed the gear cable came undone from the wheel. I don't know exactly how to fix that and need instructions. Secondly, When the cable for the gears comes down from...

Placing a bike in a common area bike room [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know if it is legal to place my own bike in the bike common area of the condo where I live. The common area has its own bike racks, but as I own a very expensive bike I would prefer to have it out of the way, as my previous one has been already damaged. The bike rack...

How to find final speed when initial speed and average speed is given [ 5 Answers ]

a car travels a certain distance with a speed of 40m/s and returns with a speed 'u'. If the average speed for the whole journey is 48m/sec what is the value of'u'?

Initial impact speed of Bike into a car [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I got a question Firstly Road conditions are good. OK, Bike Mass = 230 kg Car mass = 1600 Kg Initial Velocity Car = 0 km/h Initial Velocity Bike = REQUIRED

View more questions Search