Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    need Boiler 101 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 04:06 PM
    My Oil burning boiler deloped an oil drip.
    My oil burning boiler developed a drip. I recently had my boiler inspected for rust on the exterior. A sticker on the unit housing was charred and the burning area seemed rusty. I had gone a year saving money by allowing the unit to run only when I needed a shower or wash something in warm. I saved a pile of money. I would cut off the unit before it reached the goal temperature. OK so all was problem free except for the rust and I decided to invite my heating company service dept. to take a look. Soon after they left my PSI went up to 30 and water began to drip. My neighbor fixed the problem by releasing the pressure from the 30 PSI valve draining it into a large stainless steel dog bowl under the pipe. Two days later my oil company delivered oil and the unit started dripping oil. My neighbor and I found a dial on the oil's path to the burner which we adjusted from 8 to less than 2. The oil stopped dripping for a week and then started again. I am suspecting heating oil too thin for a cold winter as it seems to happen when coldest. I also hand tightened every nut and bolt indoors and out associated with the path of the oil from tank to burner. All this and oil still drips. Last winter they delivered oil early one frosty morning to clog the oil filter and get the service call to unclog and relight furnace. This year I had them call before delivery. What did they do to me this winter? I refuse to call the same people to fix the problem they create. Can anybody out there help?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 04:36 PM
    I asked to have your post moved to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/ You might check the sticky at the top of that forum. I am not sure you gave enough details for us help. You may need to read the stickies to learn enough to give us a better description of your system and the problem. Does your boiler supply hot water to your faucets with a separate furnace supplying hot air to heat the house? Or is this one unit that supplies hot water both to wash with and for hot water heat. Can you tell us more about where the oil is dripping? Tell us more about the 30 psi valve.

If we fail to help you solve your problems, try somebody in the repair business rather than the heating oil supplier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weil-Mclean oil burning furnace [ 4 Answers ]

The hot water radiators in two of my four zones heating my home are not getting hot even after increasing their thermostats to 80 degrees F. If there is a bubble in the circulating pipes how and from where do I bleed the system? I have a relatively new Weil-Mclean furnace (three years old). Thanks!

Boiler shot! Use propane with separate water heater or stay with oil or? [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 4,000 foot, 2-story, 1984 Deck house. It has vaulted ceilings, lots of south-facing glass, wallboard heat and five heated zones. We live in southern Connecticut. The original Utica oil-fired boiler is shot. It has our hot water supply incorporated into it. I am contemplating switching...

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

Too much oil? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All! I don't know what I would do without this site :) I am having difficulty starting my lawnmower and have a feeling I may have put too much oil in when filling the crankcase. Now the mower won't start and I am seeing a liquid seeping out of the air filter thing. Someone said I may have...

Engine Oil [ 3 Answers ]

All right, problems with this car are coming up constantly. I just found out my Civic 91 DX has been driving on mineral based 15W40 oil for at least 6 years now. My service manual suggests a full synthetic 5W30, and I read somewhere that you should do some kind of "flushing" of the whole engine...

View more questions Search