Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dink1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Verbal Contract
    North Carolina
    My husband and Myself tried to help his daughter out by buying her house with the loan balance of $100,000. She could not make the payments as he and her husband were separated with no chance of going back together. She in return could move to my house which was paid for with her three children for no rent. We inturn got the loan and signed the papers for her house. She told us her house was worth $150,000. But when we had it appraised, it apprised for $120,000. We were thinking we were getting a house worth $150,000. For $100,000. My house which she has lived in for 16 months free and clear except for the utilities apprised at $49,000.I have offered to sell this house to her for $30,000. Which is $20,000. Less that it apprised at. I think that is only fair since she lost $20,000. And I will take $20,000. Less for mine. The $150,000. Is I later found out is a figure that a realtor gave her is she kept the house for X amount of years. She now says she has retained a lawyer to make us hold to the first deal. My house is in my name and my deceased husbands name. We had only one daughter. There is only a verbal deal which I feel is not any good. I am trying to be fair to this girl but it gets harder everyday. Please help me know if she has any claim on my property or she is just bluffing. Maybe I should just sign the house over to my daughter as her inheritance and then she can have her removed. Please send me you ideas, this is a clear case of not helping relatives, because it will bite you in the butt. Thanks,
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Feb 24, 2007, 02:10 PM
    I can't imagine she has any claim legally to your property as it was a verbal agreement, and it is your house! You said she could live in it, not own it! As for her house that you bought, you still got it cheaper than its market value, maybe not as much of a bargain as you expected, but still a bargain. You agreed to pay that much, if you tried to pursue anything I would imagine you wouldn't get very far as you can't totally rely on what someone says their own property is worth, you would have benefitted from getting a survey don't before committing to buying it! I have to say, if I was you, I would sign your house over to your daughter, if you don't need it to live in, it will end up being her inheritance anyway, so she may as well benefit now! Your husbands daughter is clealry trying to abuse your kindness, so repay it by making her stand on her own two feet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal Agreement- Binding or No? [ 6 Answers ]

I am in Ohio. I have a verbal agreement with someone. The agreement was that he would purchase some software and equipment for me, and that I would pay him back with a percentage of the proceeds of the small business I was starting. He became angry with me and now wants me to give him back his...

Verbal Abuse(Teenager) [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I'm a 15 year old girl and I know this isn't normal for you to see things from teenagers on here. My mom and dad have been married for quite a few years now and ever since I was young they've fought. This is really hard for me to talk about but its to the point where I think I should get...

Verbal abuse? [ 4 Answers ]

My neighbor is married to a listed sexual predator. His picture is on the internet for our state as a sexual predator. I worked with this man for 5 years. It was very difficult, because he is such a horrible guy. He finally was fired. He has a anti-social personality. His wife is totally...

Verbal agreement [ 2 Answers ]

4 years ago, my mother persuaded my sick disabled sister to move in with her, so that they could help take care of each other. My mother has now relocated to another state and is trying to evict my sister from the home in order to sell it. My sister never paid rent to my mom ( home is paid for),...

View more questions Search