Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riazomonero Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Paying A Debt
    I was married for thirteen years. Me and my ex husband bought a house that was in both of our names. We divorced and he declared bankruptcy, landing me in 14 thousand pounds worth of debt from the house.

Is there any way I can dispute this, or at least get him to start paying some of the money himself, because it's killing me, having this debt on my head.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
    Was his name on the mortgage and what was the divorce agreement ?
    riazomonero Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
    Yes, his name was on the mortgage, but there was no divorce agreement whatsoever. Nothing like that was arranged. We separated and a couple of years later I got a letter demanding that I pay this substantial amount of money.

He also had a nervous breakdown around the time of divorce and is now 'mentally challenged.' I don't know if this has any effect on the situation or not, but I thought I would add that detail.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
    If he filed bankruptcy there is no way to make him pay anything. You may file bankruptcy if you wish. But once he files, you can not even ask him for the payments
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If he filed bankruptcy there is no way to make him pay anything. You may file bankruptcy if you wish. But once he files, you can not even ask him for the payments
    That's the way bankruptcy works in the U.S. But since she owes 14 thousand pounds, I suspect she might be in the U.K. where bankruptcy might work differently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get help paying off debt? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband I , collectively make around 60,000 a year , however we have tons of debt. Are there any programs designed to help families who make that much to pay off debt or are they just for low-incomed families?

Credit Card debt that I'm not paying [ 2 Answers ]

Hello.. My question is, I have credit card debt that equals approx. $17,000 spread over 3 cards (Am ex. Chase, Barclays bank) I have had to live off these due to situations with economy and now I can't pay them. It's either I feed my family or I pay them! I live in WA state. I have heard lots of...

Paying off credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

Are companies like Debt Settlement Services legit companies or a rip off? I have several high interest credit cards and can no longer afford the payments due to serious illness of family members

Settlig debt vs paying it in full [ 1 Answers ]

What difference does it make (with my credit score) if I pay the settlement amount vs the full amount on a account that has gone to collection agency?

On social secuity and paying debt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone I'm new here . I have a friend who has a son on social security disability.He is unable to pay a credit card debt of 3,000 dollars. I had heard that a persons social security cannot be garnished. Is there any truth to this? Thank you

View more questions Search