Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yammos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
    Table service etiquette
    For home dinners where serving platters/bowls are passed (no servers), what should be done with the covers of serving pieces? Should they be removed before bringing the serving piece to the table (which defeats the purpose of keeping the food warm) or should the hostess/host remove the cover just before passing the piece (which then brings the question as to what to do with the cover)? If the cover is taken to a sideboard, should that be the last of it or should it be replaced after the dish has been passed to everyone? Thanks.

Geo.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
    If this is for home, then do whatever works for you.
    Unless this is a formal dinner, for example impressing the boss, then there' no need to be so rigid.
    Yammos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
    Thanks. I guess I was asking about a situation where it's not just a family dinner. A little more formal with the "good" dishes and crystal but no servers. Not trying to make a big deal about it but just wondered if there is a way that didn't seem awkward or too fussy.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2012, 10:49 AM
    The purpose of etiquette is to make everyone comfortable. If it's important for that bowl of food to stay hot, leave the cover on it and remove it only to scoop out each serving. This can be done by the hostess with the bowl near her, or the covered bowl can be passed around the table with each diner helping himself. Of course, an effort has to be made by the hostess to keep the diners from burning themselves on the handles, so that bowl might have to be in a special basket or small potholders sent around with the covered bowl.

In my family, we keep such bowls on a decorative electric hot tray at the hostess's end of the table or on a sideboard, so she scoops from the bowl for the diners rather than the bowl traveling to the diner.

If it isn't important for the food to stay piping hot, the cover should be left in the kitchen or on the sideboard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fine Dining Proper Table Service [ 11 Answers ]

In fine dining, which is the proper way for a server to clear an unneeded plate, when the used utensils from the course aren't placed by the guest on it? A. The server first takes the used utensils from the finished course one by one from the table and places them on the plate to be cleared...

Fine dining table service? [ 1 Answers ]

Which side does one clear from and which side does one serve from?

Pests around my wooden table, manifesting on everything on the table [ 0 Answers ]

I found these pests around my wooden table, and they are ranged size from very small to small, they come in white, brownish and vanila in colour(each in one colour)... they seem to manifests in groups, about 5 and more... I also found them on my battery which is sealed in a container at another...

Table Cloth Etiquette [ 4 Answers ]

Is it considered bad etiquette to serve dinner to guests without a table cloth on the table?

Table Etiquette [ 4 Answers ]

I'm wondering, what is proper table manners. Like the salad spoon and dinner spoon and stuff like that, can anyone give me a crash course?

View more questions Search