Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sum Lee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Taxes on RollOver 401K account Early Withdrawal
    Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 12:28 AM
    About $36,000 after yoy factor in your tax when you file.

When they distribute it, they will withhold 20% ($12,000).

Suggestion:

Roll over $10,000 into a rollover IRA. Then make the withdrawal from the IRA under First-Time Homebuyer exception.

You will still pay ordinary income tax (state and federal), but will be exempt from the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

Try some other way to finance your house. The tax consequences of dipping into the 401K is just too high In my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Can you withdraw from a 401 to satisfy a divorce settlement without penalty?

401K early withdrawal [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario: 401K balance - $28000.00 I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution...

RollOver 401K Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?

401K early withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My ex husbands company doesn't allow me to keep my portion of the 401K in the company. I was told to invest in an IRA. I am 47yr of age and living on a very little income. Can I use part or any of the money to purchase a home. My husband and I did own a home together. But I have never purchased one...

Early withdrawal of 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I will be migrating to New Zealand and would like to withdraw my 401K following my resignation. Can anyone please help me to understand how much of the total funds will be taxed and at what rate? I am hearing that I will have to pay 10% upon withdrawal but how much will I have to pay to state and...

View more questions Search