Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MARCHEL1996 Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

May 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Getting a tattoo
    I'm 16 years old and I want to but a tattoo on my hand if my hand grows will the tattoo get Ruined.
    Its legal in my country so please give me your Scientific judgment .
    And thanks.
    (:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
    It can, you need not to put it on a body part that will "grow" If you do, you will most likely need serious touch up as it does.

May 11, 2012, 04:05 AM
    Where do u think I can put it.
    And what do u mean when u sayed (serious touch).
    And thanks.
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:08 AM
    Touch up, most tattoos over time will need to be fixed slightly, fade, loss of color at times.
    Also if you do not do right when you get it, keep lotion on it for a few weeks. And if you don't scratch it ( it itches like crazy sometimes) if you scrath it a lot, it can cause areas where the color in fill in areas is not right. Ankle or lower part of your leg on 16 year olds is not as likely to change as much.

Also chest or back may be some options right now. Your shoulder areas will be growing most likely as will thighs as you mature more.

May 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
    When u sayed keep lotion on it u mean not to wash it right??
    And how painful is it?
    And how many days will it keep itches?
    Do they but any thing on it after ending it?
    And thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MARCHEL1996 View Post
    when u sayed keep lotion on it u mean not to wash it right??
    Wash it, then put on a good lotion that has aloe in it.
    and how painful is it?
    I've had IVs put into the back of my hand in the hospital and wouldn't advise deliberately putting a tattoo there.
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
    You may wash a tattoo, and should, but you keep lotion on it for several weeks because that tattoo is going to itch and itch and itch and you will want to scratch and scratch but can't.

How much pain can you take, Shoulders hurt the less, the lower on you arm the more pain, on the back of the hands, very painful

Back , fairly painful, chest, more painful. I understand ankle ( don't have one there) really hurts.

Remember it is 100's and 100's of needle pricks into the skin.

May 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
    Actually I can take a lot of pain but my friend can't and he want to put a tattoo with me on his Wrist so do you advice him to and what the best place you advice him to but a small tattoo ?
    And when you say keep lotion on it you mean the wash the tattoo with Soap and keep it on it all the day right before I do it won't that ruin the tattoo.
    And thanks you were really helpful.(:
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 12, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Maybe you need to talk to the tattoo guy that is going to do it. Fr_Chuck is pretty clear on what to do and you still seem to be having trouble getting what he's saying. Maybe if you talk to someone in person you will understand better.
    Expert

May 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
    Ok, you do nothing the day or night before the tattoo, if there is hair on the area, shave it off, or the person doing the tattoo will shave the area, ( myself I am have a lot of body hair, so it is always something to do when I get one)

But they do the tattoo, and for the first 24 hours you just keep something like A and D ointment on the tattoo. This keeps it sealed well. You then lightly wash the tattoo and put lotion on it, maybe 4 to 8 times a day, to keep the skin moist. In a couple of days the skin will start to peel, ( like a bad sun burn does) and it will itch, that is when you do not scratch it.

It will itch for a week or two, and be basically healed completely in a month.

Only used a real artist, and make sure ( watch them) that they use a new needle, not one they cleaned.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
    How long does it take? Can it be finished in one visit, or do you have to go back for touch-ups?
    Expert

May 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
    Depends on the size my current one had a lot of detail on the small ying yang dragon, and just that 4 inch circle too about 1 1/2 hour because of all the detail. My larger twin dragons both about 6 inches long only took about a hour but there was not a lot of detail and more color fill in.

If there turns out to be any place they missed, or some line not just right, most shops ( but ask) will have you back in after a few weeks to a month to clean it up.

Many people I know go in after a few years to get the lines redid to make them darker or to help them stand out, they all will fade some, and if the tattoo is where it is in the sun all the time it can fade more.

How long they will go, will be, how much pain can you take, how long the artist can go without a break, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and then come back for more is about normal. But some stay 1/2 the day to get a larger one done. But one like over your entire back, for example may be done over 5 to 10 visits or so, ( even more if needed)

I am getting a tiger done next month, just can't find the right one yet.
    Expert

May 12, 2012, 11:33 AM
    Moved to body art where it may get more answers, just noticed it was in the wrong forum
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Do they choose the colors? Could I get colors not on the sample?

What would the cost be for a simple one on the back of your hand?
    Expert

May 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
    You can choose any color you want, I do just black, but that is me, ( so far anyway)

Cost, guess like anything else, it depends on where you are at, my last one, cost me about 250 dollars total. But could be double in some shops most likely.

It covers my entire should area basically and goes around each side
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
    What should a customer watch out for (like new needles being used)? Other sanitary practices to watch for, cleanliness of the shop and the artist? Are assistants needed? Medical qualifications of any kind?
    Expert

May 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
    At least in GA, no medical qualifications, in our county they have to have a permit to do some piercings but in the county next, don't even need for that.

No assistants, How clean is it, the one I go to, looks more like a doctors office inside, they have a area to sit with a board for the arm for shoulders, a special chair for doing back, and what looks like a massage table, I visited a few, that looked more like a place that motorcyle gangs hung out.

A few in the mall that you just sit at a chair with arm on the table.

Most should have books showing photos of their work. My artist wears plastic gloves working on me, and is very sanitary

May 13, 2012, 02:13 PM
    That is all,and u have no idea how thankful I am.(:
    Expert

May 13, 2012, 02:19 PM
    If you get one, post it back so we can see it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Should we make this thread into a sticky for Body Art?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which would be a better tattoo? [ 1 Answers ]

So, I want to get a tattoo to represent my 2 children. I love Jasmine Becketts artwork and so I have 2 pics that I love, I'm just not sure which I prefer. I was hoping you guys could weigh in. As you can see from my pic, my kids are far apart in age, so a female fairy protecting the baby dragon is...

I don't like my tattoo [ 9 Answers ]

Had an angel tattoo'd today and it is coloured purple! I hate it and need to know how I can quick fade the colour or remove it without paying a ridiculous amount. Please help!

New Tattoo [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I've just had a new tattoo done on my right arm(shoulder to mid forearm) when the guy finished it looked fantastic but now that it's all healed and a few months old a few people that have looked at it have started to pick things wrong with it. Like I have a tiny...

View more questions Search