Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pineye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2004, 06:33 PM
    Backhandspring
    I have been cheerin for 4 yrs and I'm on one of the top allstar teams in Indiana. I can do everything except for tumble. Actually, I can tumble very well but mentally I cant. I can do backhandsprings and tucks with someone only placing their pinky lightly on my back, but the second they take their pinky away I freak out and can't do it! Its weird, I no. I have till jan. 25th to throw my backhandspring. Do you have any advice on how to get rid of my mental problems that I have had for 4 yrs in two weeks? (besides, once you throw it its easy, I've heard a billion times just to throw it and get it over with) if anyone has been in this position before... what did you do to get the nerve up to do it on your own?
    luv2cheer1330 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2004, 05:56 PM
    Re: Backhandspring!!
    Well all I did was say I can do it and I did it ,it was so easy after I did and if you have a trampoline try it on there if you hve it on there by uyour self you have it on the ground or just tell them to stand next to uyou and for them to catch you if you fall it helped me :)
    fiddler13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2005, 08:33 AM
    Backhandspring
    :confused: :( :mad: :eek: I have know idea on how to do a back handspring! I've tried and tired but no luck! I know that I can do it but the fear is what pulls me back. I'm not afraid to jump on my back and flip over but I have the thinking that I will land on a head and breack something. I've been trying for maybe a couple years and no luck1 I always see people saying that it's easy and once you do it you won't be afraid but that's not the case with me. I don't have any spotters. I can do about anything ont the trampoline frontwards but backwards... don't even ask! If someone could help me It would be very apprichiated!
    cheerleader789 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2005, 06:36 AM
    Bhs
    Okay, I've been going to a cheer gym for about a week now and I love it! :o
    I've never don't a backhandspring in my lyfe and I can do one with a spotter my problem is that I jump then bent and do my bhs. This is a real problem! :(
    I need so tips anyone got any??
    Huskies01 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Have been practicing for my high schools cheer squad and I can't do a backhandspring and I don't have a spotter and I can't take any classes. If you have any advice please let me know.
    cheerchic24 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 02:55 PM
    I jhave mental block too. My advice(I'm sure you heard it a million times b4) is just throw it. YOU HAVE TO Believe IN YOURSELF!! If you think you can't do it, then you can't.
    gymgirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Try to do it on the trampoline also if you learn a backflip first then its ALOT easier also JUST THROW IT! try doing it with a roundoff then you don't think about it as much
    dancehlh Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 08:36 PM

I want to let you know that I have/had the same excat problem you do i know excatly how you feel with one finger i do it great but when they say to do it bymyself i have a mental block. Really until today at my gym I got over it. They key is to not think about it just pretend that your coach is really there. Another tip is to have tehm start spottting you and then right when you jump into it they let go. also practice on a trapoline or air track or something like that. Because I have fallen on my head on those things and TRUST me it does not hurt. I hope it goes well jsut remeber to belive in yourself becasue if you don't think you can do it then you can't!!!! good LUCk!!!:)
    scac Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 04:33 PM
    I am cheering too, and I know the pressure that they put on you, and say, "Just do it!". I am so nervous to do my back handspring too, but you have to trust yourself that you learned better not to fail. Um, that is my best advice, and just remember, there are a lot of people who are scared, but you have to get over it.
    jadeshumake Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pineye
    i have been cheerin for 4 yrs and im on one of the top allstar teams in indiana. i can do everything except for tumble. actually, i can tumble very well but mentally i cant. i can do backhandsprings and tucks with someone only placing their pinky lightly on my back, but the second they take their pinky away i freak out and can't do it! its weird, i no. i have till jan. 25th to throw my backhandspring. do u have any advice on how to get rid of my mental problems that i have had for 4 yrs in two weeks? (besides, once u throw it its easy, ive heard a billion times just to throw it and get it over with) if anyone has been in this position b4...what did u do to get the nerve up to do it on ur own?
    Cheerleading is my pasion.. I have cheerd for years and still do.. but I can't do a backhandspring.. but your problem is very comman.. there is a girl on my team that can do it, but has to have a pinky behind her.. what I tell her is to not do it until you are a hundred percent ready to do it.. think of it this way.. how is a pinky going to save you? So you mine as well just try to do it,because that pinky is just like having nothing behind you.. well I hope that helps
    Jomarieeee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Heyy, I've been cheering for a while, this will be my 5th season and I'm still working on my bhs, we have Varsity A and Varsity B this season. And all of the varsity B girls have to show three back handsprings before the first game, which is tomorrow. Or we don't letter for the season and we have to sit. Tomorrow is CRAZZy day and we all want to cheer because its going to be an awesome game. I have my spring, but its all in my head. When my Trainer is there. I can do it. I've never tried it by myself. I'm so scared its not even funny. Tomororw I think I'm just going to step up on the maatt and whip it out.
    Jomarieeee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Heyy, I've been cheering for a while, this will be my 5th season and I'm still working on my bhs, we have Varsity A and Varsity B this season. And all of the varsity B girls have to show three back handsprings before the first game, which is tomorrow. Or we don't letter for the season and we have to sit. Tomorrow is CRAZZy day and we all want to cheer because its going to be an awesome game. I have my spring, but its all in my head. When my Trainer is there. I can do it. I've never tried it by myself. I'm so scared its not even funny. Tomororw I think I'm just going to step up on the maatt and whip it out.
    kaylafkdf Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Aug 22, 2010, 07:38 PM
    Idont know what to tell you kiddo. I know my backhandspring and a lot of other tumbleing. Anything you can think of. Well I was once scared too but I practiced and practiced until I got to tired and when I went to my cheersquad I messed up my round-off and accidentally did a rebound. But when I did that rebound I felt a power in my stomach that I never felt before and I went for that backhandspring! And I was so surprised that I did it. All that work paid off. I guess I love cheer so much that ill do anything to stay in it! Take this advice: practice practice PRACTICE! Then one day your dream might just come true, good luck ms veteran cheerleader ;o
    kaylafkdf Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Aug 22, 2010, 07:39 PM

Practice so hard and pretend some one IS acctually there. When you do it you'll feel so proud of yourself!
    rose_belikov Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 09:33 PM
    Hey, I have the same problem as you! I have been cheering for about eight years. Today, and for like the past two months, I have also heard nothing but just throw it. But I have a HUGE mental block that won't let me! Tomorrow I'm going to get it, like I have told myself I will for so long. I know I can do it, and there's no reason why I cant. I have completely made up my mind that I will, and I really hope, no, I know that I can. Almost every cheerleader knows a girl who is like this, and it's so sad that so many people are being held back because of it. So my advice is to not think about it as best you can. Like, have your body move in the exact way it needs to, but clear your mind and just go all out. I tried this today, and was two inches from getting it. So don't miss out from fear, conquer it! And once you do, trust me, you'll be throwing that sucker all over the place just because you can ;) I'm going to be doing that tomorrow! So good luck, night!
    avondale_cheer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 04:57 PM
    I've been cheering for 5 years, 4 of which at the high school level, and I've cheered 3 on varsity. I have a back handspring too, and also a mental block. I've gotten injured during my springs, that's why I have a mental block. I have to have my mom spot me on my spring... only she just stands by me and I can do it! I get so frustrated with myself sometimes because its so silly! The only thing I can tell you is that you have to be confident... the more confidence you have, the stronger, and better your spring, and it won't be scary anymore! :) hope this helps!
    DanceLovinLana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 11:48 AM
    I have the Same PROBLEM! And I HATE IT! All of the other cheerleaders on my team have it! And I don't but when someone is spotting me they ALL say I have the prettiest ones on the team I can even do a tuck with a spotter just not by myself I used to do standing tuck and round off tuck and round off backhandsprings and round off back handspring tucks but I fell multiple times even with a spot in the past and mentally I just can't do it. Spotters also have their hand behind my back and when I throw it they move their hand away and they've told me that I just can't do it and its depressing I used to do it on every surface without a problem and they were beautiful, but now I just do aerials(a cartwheel without hands) I know that's unique but they are sooo low to the ground that it almost scares people when I do it I would really like to get my aerial higher ANNNDD my back stuff back but I'm not taking gymnastics anymore PLEASE HELP!!
    TeenMissAcroUS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 07:24 PM
    I had a mental block a few times I've been a gymnast for 10 years now and I had a mental block from tucks and layouts and fulls. Anything off the ground even with a spotter. I would always bolk.(go to do it and stop in mid-air) I actually talked to someone about it. A gymnastics theripist. Its not what you think it is. Its just a person. She gave me a journal and set goals each day motivating myself to do the tricks I had written down. I started with all tricks higher then a backhandspring on the tuble track. Finally I got over my block and am now Teen Miss Acrobat of the United States 2011(: just believe that you know you can do it! Take it slow! Hope I could help
    cheer96684 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 06:48 PM
    I have the same problem and I have been doing it for years and my coches have been saying just go and don't think about it. Next time when I am going for tumbling I am going to not think about hopefuly I get it please prey for me thanks and I want to make my coches proud of me so I can do it by myself thanks :)
    toriilovessyouu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
    I have that same problem ! My coach gave me until this Sunday to throw the bhs by myself or she's taking it out of the routine :\ so I decided to go outside and practice it today and I threw it! I just said to myself okay I have to throw this it has to happen , you can do it.. and I did it.. the worst that can happen is you'll fall but your not going to die ! You can do it! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search