Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spacedrive Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 11:05 PM
    My boss has asked me to tell him what time I was at a doctor. I have refused
    I had a medical procedure done at the Doctor office twice. The doctor gave me a doctors not for work both times. Which I was out both times for the same thing. I also prescheduled those days off. Now my boss is questioning me on what time I was there at the office on the last dayof the procedure. Now the doctors note was the same as the 1st time. I told him its none of his business and that violated HIPAA laws and my privacy. Is this a violation of HIPAA? Now 3 weeks later he is asking again. Again I am going to say the same thing. I was told by a doc, that it was none of their business what time I was there. Any help would be great.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 9, 2012, 11:14 PM
    It would be a HIPAA violation if your doctor told your boss, but not if you tell your boss.

Not telling him what time you were there is probably raising suspicions as to whether this is a copied/forged document from the last time you were there.

May 9, 2012, 11:32 PM
    I was given doctors note both times. Type O on that sentence.I was also told by my union I don't have to. He got the note and that's enough. If he continues it will be harassment.

May 9, 2012, 11:35 PM
    Thanks for the answer. If its an issue I could just go back and get another. He knew in advance of the two dates. Both times my job was covered. I think he is being a butt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2012, 03:15 AM
    It is not a HIPAA violation for him to ask. So don't use that. It is not a HIPAA violation for you to tell him. Just telling him the times of your visit wouldn't even violate HIPAA since no medical diagnosis or treatment info is being talked about.

But, as long as the time off was planned and approved, it is no business of his why you took the time off or your schedule while off. If he asks again, tell him that you have asked your union rep about this and there is no reason he needs to know or is entitled to know. Its simply your personal business. Further that, if he asks again, you will be forced to file a complain with the union.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boss won't let me come back to work without doctor release? [ 12 Answers ]

I was off work for three days in California and returned. I was asked for a doctor release a week later and that I could not return till I had one. I don't have a doctors note I was just sick

My boss has asked me 2 leave as I'm off sick? [ 3 Answers ]

I have bi polar and have been signed off work for the last 4weeks I am to be off for a few more weeks until things get better,my boss told me today she is advertising my job and has asked me to resign saying she will re-employ me when I'm well again but I will have to job share with the new person...

A boss asked how can you make current ratio higher? [ 4 Answers ]

Your boss came to you and asked, how can you make the current ratio higher?You know the company has a line of credit with the local bank that requirues the company to maintain its current ratio at 1.5. You also know that the company was dangerously close to violating this covenant during the...

Boss refused to give me a contract and now calls me a vendor. What does this mean? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm working in a writing company. I'm working full-time, from 9-5. I am the only person there who never received a contract. What I do is basically a bit of everything; I write, come up with concepts, answer the phone, market, coordinate big meetings, and so forth. Everyone else there...

Help! My daschund refused to shower and refused to be carried. [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Help!I am having 2 major problems with my male long hair red daschund:- 1. He refuses to shower - every time he hears and sees me preparing his shower stuff, he will run and hide. I try coaxing him wz treats but that didn't help. He will growl and snap at whoever goes near him. 2, My...

View more questions Search